Testing R26 charging system?

Single & twin cylinder model BMW Airhead specific discussions
Atchisvw

Testing R26 charging system?

Post by Atchisvw »

I have recently acquired a 1960 R26. After my initial ride, I found the "new" battery was discharged and would not recharge (now shows only 4.1v) after charging overnight on battery maintainer. I noticed the battery dripping from the discharge hose after the ride. I am wondering the best way to test (troubleshoot) the charging system to determine if the regulator is working properly, etc. I have ordered a new battery and need a few ideas on the best way to proceed. The bike runs with the battery charger hooked up, but stalls as soon as it is disconnected. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Scott
Duane Ausherman

Re: Testing R26 charging system?

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Just about the first thing to check on any charging/battery issue is the charge voltage.

A very good book has been written for electrical on the /2 and that includes singles. I would call Vech and see if he has it.

Yahoo has a group for the BMW single cylinder models. I suggest joining that group.

If this is your first BMW, then learn to use Google for just about anything you need to know. For example, as a search term, try "vech bmw motorcycle"
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Atchisvw

Post by Atchisvw »

Can anyone direct me to a wiring diagram that shows the regulator connections in the dynamo? Mine is connected to terminals 61 and 51 and I would like to confirm that is correct. Still looking for causes of over-cooking my battery. thanks
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I've not seen any diagrams from those days that actually show the regulator specific in the circuit. From the new Doug Rinckes book, you should have the F-type regulator or Noris regulator. There's no real diagram but it shows a wire coming off the coil affair which goes to the generator 61 while another wire (near the mechanical points) going to regulator 51 (and to the generator 30/51).

Kurt in S.A.
Meerkat

Post by Meerkat »

I have a diagram which may help.
I know nothing about the dark art of electrics on motorcycles so I hope that this is correct as it came from a good source.
Attachments
Diagram of wiring 1.jpg
Diagram of wiring 1.jpg (58.84 KiB) Viewed 3964 times