What points do I have?

Single & twin cylinder model BMW Airhead specific discussions
lomax

What points do I have?

Post by lomax »

When going through my 64 R50/2 I was pleased that everything was in very good shape, including the points. Gap was set properly and timing was spot on.

So now the real question. My points don't look like anything in the parts manual and nothing like the spare set I ordered.

They have an adjusting screw to set the point gap. :shock:

I remember way back when on a Chevy or Ford or something seeing something like this before.

Do I have some kind of really cool conversion or am I about to explode in vapor any second. :mrgreen:

They look a lot like this.

Marc
Kurt in S.A.

Re: What points do I have?

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

It's a Pentacom system. It provides a way to adjust the point gap while the engine is running. It also allow use of standard points from some old vehicles, like the older Chevys. I think a majority of people feel it solves a problem that doesn't really exist.

Kurt in S.A.
lomax

Post by lomax »

Thank you Kurt :D

Marc
jimmyg

Post by jimmyg »

The screw adjustment allows the points to be adjusted while running as this allows correct setting of the dwell angle.

There's points gap setting and there's dwell angle setting if you want to be really anal and accurate. It does require a dwell meter however.

I remember older GM cars from the 60's and early 70's had a little window on the distributor cap. With the engine running you raised the window, inserted the proper sized allen wrench, and with your dwell meter hooked across the coil and set to the correct number of cylinders, you dialed it in.

jimmyg
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Yes, it is a solution looking for a problem to solve. If you have the timing correctly set and the points gap is also correct, then you are very lucky indeed. Usually the points gap is way too large, which isn't really a problem until the points gap is so large that they "float" instead of returning to the contacting position.

That system is very well made, but not needed in any way.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

The biggest advantage to this would always have been (and still is) the fact that you could find the correct points in stock in any little town in the U.S.
MS - out