Which Steering Head Bearings for R50/2 ?

Single & twin cylinder model BMW Airhead specific discussions
Hoof

Which Steering Head Bearings for R50/2 ?

Post by Hoof »

I've had a look at the Steering head which still has the original round bearings and there is some damage to the adjuster rim (looks like the adjuster was tightened on a loose ball bearing at some time which has made an indent in the adjuster about one third of its circumference"!)

So, time to replace with taper bearings - however I can't find the size for the R50/2?

As far as I can see they are sold all over the world but the retailers don't list the size for the R50/2 - they just sell the bearing- I have found reference to the R50/5 (Called 320/28 bearings - size 28x52x16mm) and they are readily available but my question is:-

"is the R50/5 the same size as is needed for the R50/2 - ie 28x52x16mm" ?

Does anyone have the dimensions?

Many thanks
Bamboo812

Re: Which Steering Head Bearings for R50/2 ?

Post by Bamboo812 »

Hucky sells sets for $60: http://www.bmwhucky.com/006931.html
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

From what I understand, this is a highly specialized bearing...not many people carry them. If I were you, I'd call up Vech at Benchmark Works and tell them what you want. Good people!

Vech shows part 31422000000 for $50.

Kurt in S.A.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I did the conversion on my conversion rig. I loved it. But that was a long time ago. But I was astounded at how simple it went.
Rob V
Hoof

Post by Hoof »

Many thanks for the information - I know I can get the bearings from any number of BMW suppliers but I am trying to find out the spec. - ie the size.....which seems to be a closely guarded secret! (I THINK they are 320/28 bearings - size 28x52x16mm)
If I know the size I can choose the make rather than just getting a set from a BMW supplier who gets them from some manufacturer unknown to me.
I understand that BMW were actually getting their 'branded' bearings from Argentina at one time - who knows who made them! There are also Chinese bearings which are very cheap (and many others) but It would be nice to get a set from one of the best manufacturers. If no one knows the size I suppose I'll take off my steering head (again) and measure the size - but it would be nice to order a set by the size before dissassembly (again) !
Surely someone has done this and knows the size for an R50/2 ?
Best wishes
Bamboo812

Post by Bamboo812 »

I did them, but it was about 6 years ago and the bike is long gone. You could try calling Vech at Bench Mark Works. He's very helpful and doesn't mind talking on the phone with fellow BMW enthusiasts.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Bamboo812 wrote:I did them, but it was about 6 years ago and the bike is long gone. You could try calling Vech at Bench Mark Works. He's very helpful and doesn't mind talking on the phone with fellow BMW enthusiasts.
(662) 465-6444
Rob V
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Hoof wrote:Many thanks for the information - I know I can get the bearings from any number of BMW suppliers but I am trying to find out the spec. - ie the size.....which seems to be a closely guarded secret! (I THINK they are 320/28 bearings - size 28x52x16mm)
If I know the size I can choose the make rather than just getting a set from a BMW supplier who gets them from some manufacturer unknown to me.
I understand that BMW were actually getting their 'branded' bearings from Argentina at one time - who knows who made them! There are also Chinese bearings which are very cheap (and many others) but It would be nice to get a set from one of the best manufacturers. If no one knows the size I suppose I'll take off my steering head (again) and measure the size - but it would be nice to order a set by the size before dissassembly (again) !
Surely someone has done this and knows the size for an R50/2 ?
Best wishes
I think that if you go to a dozen bearing suppliers, not a one will even have it in the list. These bearings are special.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Hoof

Post by Hoof »

Interesting if BMW had special bearings made when there are so many off the shelf taper bearings around. Now I am more than curious!

Even special bearings have a size...I'll report back when I find out.

Best wishes
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob V