24mm carb needed

Single & twin cylinder model BMW Airhead specific discussions
arbalest

24mm carb needed

Post by arbalest »

My son just bought a non matching number barnfind /2. The frame and running gear are 1966 R50/2. The motor is an R50 mfg. between 1955 and 1960. The carbs are mismatched. There is a 24mm carb on one side and a 26mm carb on the other. The correct carbs are 1/24/131, 132. I'm waiting for him to let me know which 24mm carb is on the bike. I don't know if the left or right carb is the correct carb. The 26mm carb is from a R68 or R69, 1/26/9 or 10. Again, not sure if it is the left or right carb. I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone has the correct series 24mm missing carb. We would like to trade(partial plus cash?) the incorrect 26mm carb for the correct 24mm carb. I will have the left/right question answered soon, and will post as soon as I have it.
arbalest

Re: 24mm carb needed

Post by arbalest »

Just confirmed that carb we need is the 1/24/131.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

arbalest wrote:Just confirmed that carb we need is the 1/24/131.
You may have trouble finding a carb with that exact number on it. However, since things are already a bit amiss, you can make just about any 24 mm Bing work well on that engine.

There were evolutionary changes over the years and in general they did improve. That number is a late number.

Keep in mind that a Bing for a R50 would have a different number from one for a R60, but that is just jetting. Both are the same carb.

If you aren't pulling a sidecar, then you don't care about the larger sidecar outside bowl that came out in 63.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

I may be interested in swapping carb with you as I have mismatched carbs with a couple of spares.
I need to make up two pairs for a R60/2.