1951 R68

Spot for all single & twin cylinder BMW motorcycles made before 1955 & all the way back to the beginning
the quinner

Re: 1951 R68

Post by the quinner »

Bringing this one back...

Vanzen, is it possible to get some detail pictures of your R68's front fender? Specifically, I'd like to see detail of the (middle) fork mounting points and the front/rear "bow" struts (at the fender and at the fork mount). I have two similar, but different "sport" front fenders and one is supposedly an R68 fender...I'd like to figure out if either of mine match your fender. Thanks! (my "sport" front fenders came with my R51/3...I do NOT have an R68)
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

More than one aftermarket producer in Germany made "sport fender" that were exact, or close copies to the R68 fender. I never had a "real" fender to compare.

If you find old copies of Das Motorrad you will see the large number of ads for items to "hot up" your BMW. One firm made a 5 speed transmission conversion and one made one with reverse. It was truly a candy store back then.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
the quinner

Post by the quinner »

Duane Ausherman wrote:More than one aftermarket producer in Germany made "sport fender" that were exact, or close copies to the R68 fender. I never had a "real" fender to compare.

If you find old copies of Das Motorrad you will see the large number of ads for items to "hot up" your BMW. One firm made a 5 speed transmission conversion and one made one with reverse. It was truly a candy store back then.
Right...both of mine are similar to each other, but slightly different. The PO of the bike thought that one of them was original R68, but he wasn't sure which one. I'd just like to figure out what I have before I start trying to swap one or both for the correct R51/3 front fender.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

And so we enter the real world of the highly collectable....
MS - out