Driveshaft finish

Spot for all single & twin cylinder BMW motorcycles made before 1955 & all the way back to the beginning
Unclviny

Driveshaft finish

Post by Unclviny »

I spoke with the restorer today and in cleaning-up the DS for my 1936 R2 he uncovered what appears to be Tin Plating, we discussed whether we thought that this was "correct" or not and we decided it is so the DS is on it's way to a Plater for Tin (it has to go to California).
From the beginning I have stressed that I want this bike "correct", and judging from the paperwork we have this would appear to be right.
This should not hold up the restoration much (if any), it just makes my bill go up!

Today is her birthday, she is 76.

I want opinions on my decision.

Vince
http://www.vinceandersononline.com
1973-1/2 BMW R75/5 (LWB)
1971 Norton Commando
1952 Triumph TRW
1936 BMW R2
Unclviny

Re: Driveshaft finish

Post by Unclviny »

On further examination it was Cad with dull-silver-paint on it, we went with Cad-plating.

It got a bad news/great news phone call from the restorer working on my R2 this morning, the rear-end cover chipped on installation but it is repairable and I offered to send him some more $ and was told not to because at this point HE OWES ME!

Vince
http://www.vinceandersononline.com
1973-1/2 BMW R75/5 (LWB)
1971 Norton Commando
1952 Triumph TRW
1936 BMW R2
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Viny, I'd be very wary of anybody trying to install anything near your rear end.
Particularly if he thinks that he 'owes you' :shock:
Lord of the Bings
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

ME 109 wrote:Viny, I'd be very wary of anybody trying to install anything near your rear end.
Particularly if he thinks that he 'owes you' :shock:
Yeah, you don't want him chipping it's cover either. :(
MS - out