Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

Re: Woo Hoo! A Big Project!

Post by melville »

The goal here is not rearsets specifically, but 'samesets.' I use the passenger pegs when I want to be folded into a pretzel away from yoga. The other goal is to use as many OG parts as possible and to make it look just like BMW would have done, only nicer.

I obtained an extra right peg from PITApan. Here's how it looked after I got the powdercoat people to blast the plating off it and the original one from my bike:

They were both a bit bent from various incidents. I got the cheater pipe out and bent them out just a bit, then it was time to clean up the forge part lines:

A little grinding to get a flat spot on the peg and a lot of grinding on my pivot extension to get a weldable bevel later, it was time to jig it up for tack welds:

Muriel helped with that--so many moving parts!

The shift lever and the shifter stub on the trans needed to be tapped to M6 to use the pivot ball:

And the connecting bit needed to be shortened and threads cut:

I left it a bit long--it's easy enough to shorten it a mm or two at a time.

And here it is, mocked up:

It seems to work!

Please do not let your eyes linger on the world's ugliest tack welds. That will be dealt with once I get a bigger tip for the torch. A #3 barely made the metal sweat, let alone puddle.

Coming up: better welds, PC for the pegs, and my tires are in!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

So, my take away from the previous post is that Muriel has lots of moving parts.

How am I doing in reading comprehension? :)

Chuey
Rob

Post by Rob »

Chuey wrote:So, my take away from the previous post is that Muriel has lots of moving parts.
Yeah, they are called "offspring".
Rob V
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Its a thing of engineering beauty. I slalom ski correctly (not goofy footed), but I am not sure I would have ever noticed my misaligned feet if I hadn't looked down on them. Sensitivity is probably not my best quality.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
melville

Post by melville »

bbelk wrote:Its a thing of engineering beauty. I slalom ski correctly (not goofy footed), but I am not sure I would have ever noticed my misaligned feet if I hadn't looked down on them. Sensitivity is probably not my best quality.
Took me a minute to recall that from Texas, for you slalom happens on water. I was doing some telemark skiing toward the end of my time in snow country, like the guy in blue and orange:

Turning left felt quite natural. Turning right took some acquisition of skillz.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

If Texans were meant to SNOW ski, Bullshit would be white.

1975 R90/6
1979 R65
melville

Post by melville »

Damn! I lost the whole month of April to work. I found a few minutes during the month to pull the wheels off the bike and run them to my guy for new Michelins. Finally got some time to pick them up a couple days ago. Trying a new method to renew the polish on the rims. Here's the rear in the 'after' condition, front in 'before':

Here's the device:

It's a Mother's polishing ball. Use liquid or paste polish and start slowly, else that stuff flings all over.

I also had my guy finish the welding on the modded footpeg. It was just not going to happen with gas. Here's the nearly finished item. It will get PC later this year, probably when a certain Yamaha runs again:

Finshed the winter maintenance, although not the whole list from a few posts ago. Lubed the clutch splines, topped up the gearbox oil (a lot ran out when I was working on the shift mechanism) charged and intstalled the battery, lubed the throttle cables and mechanism and renewed the bling on the throttle cover, and finally opened the taps and hit the button. VARROOOOMM! Looking to get out and about Wednesday.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Wanna borrow my bike for a little while?
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
melville

Post by melville »

bbelk wrote:Wanna borrow my bike for a little while?
No, we wanna borrow your Airstream! Muriel has decided that we need a vintage land yacht, so a modest vehicle purge will happen this summer in the interest of funding a tow rig.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Gonna get one of those 5th wheel Bug trailers? ;)

So what do you prefer for polishing? Liquid or paste? I would think paste would be more forgiving to fling? Do you have a "polishing box"?
Rob V