R100GS turn signal stays on (without blinking)

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
DonW

Re: R100GS turn signal stays on (without blinking)- UPDATE-

Post by DonW »

Hi All,
I tried my unit on a friend's bike and confirmed the part was bad.

So, with nothing to lose, I took it apart. Turns out there is just some rubber like sealant on the bottom, which can be removed. When I looked at the "guts" it was obvious that one of the relays had a broken spade. I was able to solder the part together, and now all works. Not sure how long it will last, but...

Here's a pic

http://www.pbase.com/dwhiteside/image/160185128
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...
Crunch

Re: R100GS turn signal stays on (without blinking)

Post by Crunch »

From the ADV forum, "Olds kool Airhead parts"...As a reminder, the pricey OEM turn signal flasher on the old airheads like my /7 can be swapped out for a "Tridon Stant" 12 volt 3 terminal #550 thermal flasher available for under $5 from any auto parts store.

The new flasher will have a "P" an "L" and an "X"...you want to plug the wires from the new socket into the existing flasher socket...match the "P" to the black/white wire (your dash light indicator)...match the "L" to the green/yellow wire (the "load"...i.e. the turn signals)...and, the "X" to the green/black wire (+12V supply). The fourth prong (that the new flasher won't have) is brown...for ground...the new flasher doesn't need a ground.
(thx to BMWHD)
I think I paid under $10 for one that I put on my R90/6 a few years ago. Worked just fine.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Crunch, that's what I've got in my 90/6. Works well. Here's a diagram I made for a post on ADV (ignore the C? on the RHS):

And to DonW, congrats on fixing rather than buying.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
DonW

Post by DonW »

Thanks Airbear.

The turnsignal controller on the post- 90 or 91 bikes is WAYYYYY different than the /7, or any airhead before. It's a 15 pin unit that is the same as the K-bikes.
'83 R80ST
'92 R100GS
'04 R1150RTP
garage full of airhead parts...