Bing CV black plate - white letters

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
sprints@pldi.net

Bing CV black plate - white letters

Post by sprints@pldi.net »

I'm refurbishing my Bings on my r75 - does anyone have a recommendation of how to repaint the white letters on the black plate that's riveted on the carbs without making a mess?
Thanks - Rod
jagarra

Re: Bing CV black plate - white letters

Post by jagarra »

Many years ago we used to use dry transfer lettering to re-identify lettering that was lost when we painted panels. It was called paratype, I goggled that and got lots of unrelated stuff. I will attach a link to what the stuff looks like. It used to be carried by stationary stores, office supply outfits, don't know if any of the big box players even know what the stuff is.
When we were done transferring the letters we had to spray it with a clear to keep them from rubbing off.

http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/pro ... phics.aspx
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
khittner1

Post by khittner1 »

The Bing Agency sells replacement plates, but they don't disclose the price on their website: http://www.bingcarburetor.com/bmw/cvaccessories.html
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Factory replacement is the way to go, much more durable. Bet when you add that item to your cart the price will appears. Nose around to see it they have replacement mounting pins, you may need those as well.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

jagarra wrote:Factory replacement is the way to go, much more durable. Bet when you add that item to your cart the price will appears. Nose around to see it they have replacement mounting pins, you may need those as well.
No cart it seems. Phone or email ordering .
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

SteveD wrote: No cart it seems. Phone or email ordering .
Yep. I bet it's because they had too many people ordering the wrong parts.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

I've read some people using a cut potato to paint the letters. I'm sure any flat surface would work as well as a potato though. FWIW, I purchased new plates, but never installed them, because removing the four "pegs" [for lack of a better word] that hold the plate in seemed more troublesome than it was worth.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Yeah, those pegs are the issue in changing the plates. If you could get replacement pegs, then one would have to use destructive removal of the plate around the peg to get any clearance under them. Then I would use a set of cheap flush cut dykes to wiggle under the pegs and work them out. Really not one of those processes where it can be done with minimal damage.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Jeff in W.C.

Post by Jeff in W.C. »

jagarra wrote:Yeah, those pegs are the issue in changing the plates. If you could get replacement pegs, then one would have to use destructive removal of the plate around the peg to get any clearance under them. Then I would use a set of cheap flush cut dykes to wiggle under the pegs and work them out. Really not one of those processes where it can be done with minimal damage.
The plates came with screws to replace the pegs, so you could destroy the pegs if you wanted to. My big concern was destroying the plate, then not being able to remove all the pegs or damaging the carb body in the process.
Jeff in W.C.
1988 R100 RT
2018 R1200 GS
"I've got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer/Clash
Ray from Indiana

Post by Ray from Indiana »

I repainted mine this way:
1. Cut some scrap inner tube and glue it flat to a small block of scrap pine using super glue.
2. Use some brake cleaner to get all oil off the black plate.
3. Find that can of white rustoleum spray paint you have in your garage you were saving.
4. Crouch down near the plate, spray the inner tube on the pine block with a light coat ( not runny)
5. Press the painted inner tube up against the lettering on the bing plate. Just do it once. Don't touch again till it dries.
6. Take some thinner and clean the paint off the inner tube, repeat 2 to 5 for the other Bing plate.

It worked on mine...lasted about 4 years, did it again