Today in the shed you did...

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Duane Ausherman

Re: Today in the shed you did...

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Did some sorting out of tools and carried the 200 kg of them out to the driveway for the local sale. Got rid of about 1/2 of them. Now to give away the remainder. Only sold about $200 worth, so it was very poor pay for the hassle, but met a lot of good people and had fun.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Duane Ausherman wrote:Did some sorting out of tools and carried the 200 kg of them out to the driveway for the local sale. Got rid of about 1/2 of them. Now to give away the remainder. Only sold about $200 worth, so it was very poor pay for the hassle, but met a lot of good people and had fun.
Are you not out of that house yet, Duane?
Rob V
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

We are in the middle of an epic multi day rain here so I am getting some things done. Yesterday in the shop I worked on the boat. I changed the lower unit oil, the motor oil, the trim oil, repaired three chips in the hull, a busted rod holder and the seat back on the leaning post.

Today I worked on the 1979 R65. I changed the motor oil, and topped off the shaft and rear end oil, both of which were low and neither of which show signs of leaking. As I do every year, I drained the excess oil out of the transmission. Oil can’t run from the shaft uphill to the transmission. I know this because several years ago, Duane told me it couldn’t happen and he is usually right.

I also changed the air filter and am once again amazed that such an awful, knuckle busting design could persist for so long. I also noticed that my knuckles hurt a lot more when I do this sort of thing then they used to.

It is past noon now, so I am going to have a glass of wine and read a book for the rest of the day. The drought is scheduled to resume on Monday.
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good thing on the boat - you may need it.

The clamshell filter housing was one of the easiest things to work on on my '79. The hardest part was sliding the sections of hose on the the air intake horns, and that was hardly worth typing.

I've never replaced a square filter, but from what I have read (here), that can be a bit of a PIA, too.
(But the round filters are SO much cheaper, and they FIT EVERY TIME!)

Don't know about the gear oil. I would trust Duane on it, too, but it sure sounds like forward migration to me! Output seal on the gearbox?
Rob V
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Rob wrote: it sure sounds like forward migration to me! Output seal on the gearbox?
Replaced the forward seal on the rear end a couple years ago. Either oil is migrating forward or my BMW is manufacturing EP90 in the xmission in roughly the same volume as is evaporating out of the shaft and rear end. Next year I will measure the spillage. Every year it is a total surprise when I pull the plug. Memory is the first to go.

1975 R90/6
1979 R65
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I got around to making some pawl spring tools. They're all a little different and look a bit grubbier than Charlies tidy efforts. I've now seen Bob Sipp's, Wunderlich's and two versions from Charlie, so I'm guessing some variance won't matter too much.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I had a poke around in Charlie's box with his tool. It is very easy to find the lever, and it can be heard clicking into position for changing gears.
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

What are the chances they'll work? Made from 5mm steel rod from Sibbo.
Unlikely to break.
Likely to work?

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

SteveD wrote:
Unlikely to break.
Likely to work?
Yes, and yes. It will be useful to have the notch, 65mm south of the tool-tip (the end of the turned down bit). When the notch is aligned with the outer edge of the filler plug hole the tool tip is directly under the pawl.

When Jeff was trying the tool he asked about whether it will work with a kick-starter box, so we just had to try that. The answer is yes, and I think that is the reason for the bend with the Bob Sipp tool. After inserting the tool (with the business end facing backwards) it needs to go over the top of the kick-starter shaft and then around into position. That extra bend will facilitate this. We found with the slimmer wire (2.5 diam) that a bit of a push was required to get the tool over the shaft and into position. i may do another vid of this, and perhaps suggest that people afflicted with the kicker could add that bend.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

My trans has the kicker. Of the 5 choices Charlie, from left to right, 1->5, which might be the one for my toolbox? #2 or #4?
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.