Handle bar levers and throttle suggestions?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Ken in Oklahoma

Re: Handle bar levers and throttle suggestions?

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Seth wrote:How about drilling out the bar rises to support 7/8" bars, and then a master cylinder with the appropriate bores to match the calipers. Most clutch levers will work. BMW has both single and dual throttle cables. Old Triumph Bonnevilles had dual cable throttles, so you can try using one of them. Cables are pretty easy to make up.
Another thing to consider in the contemplated conversion would be what to do about the R/H handlebar switch gear. It's unlikely to be 'atachable' to the aftermarket brake and throttle setups contemplated.

Ken

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Ken, one may have to modify and use something that actually is reliable and priced at some reasonable level.

I have always wanted to fix the horrible ergonomics of the stupid BMW handlebar switches. They should be where ones fingers are located while riding. As it is, one has to move them some distance in order to operate them. So stupid
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Duane Ausherman wrote:
I have always wanted to fix the horrible ergonomics of the stupid BMW handlebar switches. They should be where ones fingers are located while riding.
You mean like press buttons on the handgrips? That's where my fingers are when riding.
I'd like vibrating handle bar ends for a turn signal telltale.
Lord of the Bings
ontic

Post by ontic »

Boxer800 wrote:Thanks Airbear, and thanks everyone else for the help. Ive off loaded all the original controls, levers and throttle. Ive fitted a set of new after market 22mm handle bars to the bike which fit snug into the original clamps. I am completely re-wiring the controls using Motogadget gear. I am at the stage of the build of needing to source a front brake lever assembly to suit the original Brembo twin disks and a clutch lever assembly as well as a twin pull throttle. Ive been googling a bit but no luck as yet.
Any help on web sites supplying these parts to suit our bikes would be great, Thanks.
You've opened up quite the can of worms.
As 0m3nc0w said, ditch the 22mm and go to 7/8 bars and start customising.
For switchgear, take your pick. Retrofit some other bikes switches that you like or buy a universal aftermarket thing and make that work. Brands like Highwaydirtbikes have popular and expensive basic switchgear that many seem to like, but I am not sure what might fit whatever visual/practical/aesthetic within your 'scrambler' thing.
As Seth said, most clutch levers should be up for the job. Pick one you want, then hope that the cable adjustment and details work with the stock bmw cable (and excess cable length)... or accept making custom cables.
For throttle, you can try to find twin pulls, or go to a single pull and use a two-to-one splitter. Make sure to check what actual cable pull (in mm) you get with your chosen throttle and with your splitter as the Bings I think need about 38mm as a minimum which may not be provided by most splitters and some throttles. Also consider custom cables might be required.
As you are customising, no one can really tell you what is going to work with what else. As Airbear said, time to get well acquainted with that tedious fellow Mr Google and then start gambling and buying and trying things.

For example..
For a different set up on my G/S up I have gone to fatbars (that taper down to 7/8 at control ends), then an aftermarket ASV clutch that required a custom made cable adjuster bolt thing and another custom bit down on the gearbox end of the frame- a real lot of work to make this brilliant clutch lever work with a stock G/S clutch cable (as I want to be able to just buy stock clutch cables off the shelf). This clutch also has a hot-start lever that I have adapted to use for a choke cable on my carbs... which are mikuni VM34's... which required a lot of work to get to work with a cable pull rather than a on-carb lever pull. For a throttle I have a vintage single pull Magura 312. For a front brake lever I used the stock KTM brembo lever and master cylinder that suits the KTM front end, caliper and brakes that I have grafted on. For throttle and choke cables I bought two sets of the Venhill 'UNIVERSAL 1 INTO 2 THROTTLE CABLE KITS', which come with a splitter that gives me enough cable pull for my carbs and throttle- these have been made into cables to suit everything else. Replacement will mean custom making again but it was the only way I could see to make this work, and I will one day get around to taking some measurements and recording them so I don't have to rely on copying an old cable. For switchgear I have made custom mounts and have used simple /5 bmw switchgear, also a lot of work, just because I like them so much from using them on my R90.

As you can see, probably not much of use to you, and a lot of work. Good luck.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S