electronic ignition

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Major Softie

Re: electronic ignition

Post by Major Softie »

Luckily, I don't believe I've ever noticed any garden gnomes at Kens... :shock:
MS - out
painter

Post by painter »

Well, thanks again. I see I've found a forum of reasonable and articulate riders. I'll try not to bring down the level of discussion too much.

ken
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

painter wrote:Well, thanks again. I see I've found a forum of reasonable and articulate riders. I'll try not to bring down the level of discussion too much.

ken
Ah now, Ken. Don't you go jumping to hasty conclusions there.

Additional: In any discussion on electronic ignition systems for our old darlings the Silent Hektik should be included.

http://www.motoren-israel.com/products/ ... ndkit.html

It is also crank-mounted and comes with a set of coils. It appears to be a more refined product than the Omega, but the price is prohibitive (at nearly 500 Euros plus shipping). If you keep this unit in mind as a sort of ambit claim on your wallet, the Omega starts to look pretty good. This was the justification I used, and I had to pay OZ$380 for mine. I have no regrets - the improvement really is worth it.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Major Softie wrote:Luckily, I don't believe I've ever noticed any garden gnomes at Kens... :shock:
And now you know why! :lol:
Garnet

mattcfish

Post by mattcfish »

Airbear wrote:
Additional: In any discussion on electronic ignition systems for our old darlings the Silent Hektik should be included.

http://www.motoren-israel.com/products/ ... ndkit.html

It is also crank-mounted and comes with a set of coils. It appears to be a more refined product than the Omega, but the price is prohibitive (at nearly 500 Euros plus shipping). If you keep this unit in mind as a sort of ambit claim on your wallet, the Omega starts to look pretty good. This was the justification I used, and I had to pay OZ$380 for mine. I have no regrets - the improvement really is worth it.
I agree, if I had the cash the Silent Hektik is the cream of the crop. I like my Omega, but the price sure is rising fast on these too.
I got mine for around $200 a few years ago, now they're around $250.
Bellingham, WA USA
1975 BMW R90/6
1975 BMW 2002
1971 VW Westfalia
1985 VW Vanagon
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/b ... s.1074183/
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

I have used both Boyer and silent hektik ignitions on my bikes, last time I used points on a BMW was in 1978, when they were junked for a Boyer.

The main advantage of the omega and silent hectic ignitions is that you can choose different ignition curves, which can help when you have fitted twin plugs, whereas with the Boyer you have to run the curve as supplied, but set it on 29 degrees at full advance, and it will work well.
I understand that the current range of Boyers handle low battery voltages better, in the past they reverted to full advance under such conditions, which could cause problems with vincents and suchlike when fitted with electric starters.

My current project is bringing a R90/6 back to life, aiming for torque and good fuel consumption . It will be twin plugged and fitted with a Boyer, I don't feel I can justify the cost of the silent hektik on this one!
Charles
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
dwire

Post by dwire »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote:
Airbear wrote:Do I detect a certain catharsis, Ken? I'm sure you are feeling better for it. You can close that chapter of your life now. Well done. Anything else bugging you?

You are very perceptive Airbear. Upon reflecting it would appear that I was indeed being bugged by a mere inanimate object. I was letting an unimportant thing disturb my equilibrium. Thank you for snapping me out of it. I'll be facing this new day with a song in my heart.

Things are just that, things. It's people that are important. the Dyna did just what it would do, what it could do. It was the product of people, intelligent people, who designed, manufactured, and marketed the product. It's those dirty rotten no-good bastards that I'd really like to get my hands on. It would give me great satisfaction to choke them, one by one, until their eyes bug out and their faces turn blue!

I feel so much better now.

Ken, humming a happy tune in Oklahoma
Ah, refreshing... I Always try and remember this in times of such despair...

"Do the best that you can do. The best do no better..."
1971 R75/5 (SWB)
If you're going to hire MACHETE to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!
Steve78RS

Post by Steve78RS »

Ditto for me Airbear

The Omega at advance curve 4 has made my 78RS a much more enjoyable ride.

Steve
R100RS to R100S Conversion
hank0614

Post by hank0614 »

Hi all:

A Dyna III came with my R60/5 ----- it falied in the heat

I replaced it with a Boyer ---- it failed on a lovely day... 175 miles from home

I replaced it with an Omega --- and it has been happiness and bliss ever since.
dwire

Post by dwire »

Omega - $261.00 shipped...

That's a lot of points (and condensers...) :-)

Would I be THAT impressed?
1971 R75/5 (SWB)
If you're going to hire MACHETE to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!