BMW NEWEST - R NINE T CAFE RACER

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Ridercam

BMW NEWEST - R NINE T CAFE RACER

Post by Ridercam »

Man! What a beautiful bike. I believe it is as close to my r100cs as one could get new. Now available as I saw one in the showroom over the weekend. It has been a long while since i saw a new bike i wanted. even more sad is that i am broke due to paying property and income taxes. i am at least a year away from getting close to getting one. Hopefully this feeling of desire will pass. :mrgreen:
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
enigmaT120

Re: BMW NEWEST - R NINE T CAFE RACER

Post by enigmaT120 »

Wow. Even I like that.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
dougie

Post by dougie »

Everything old is new again.
union-motorcycle-classics-bmw-r100-cafe-racer-4.jpg
union-motorcycle-classics-bmw-r100-cafe-racer-4.jpg (163.06 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

dougie wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm Everything old is new again.
union-motorcycle-classics-bmw-r100-cafe-racer-4.jpg
That is quite true except now the service techs can service this new one, most parts on on the shelf and completely financeable. But most importantly - when you crash it, the insurance company knows how much to pay out.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
bbelk

Post by bbelk »

Are they just using up inventory of the Oil Head motors? Why isn't it gong to the new water head?
1975 R90/6
1979 R65
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

No center stand...no deal. These are supposed to be BMW boxer engine motorcycles.

As far as not using the water head, perhaps they haven't figured out, or can't, hide the radiators. Certainly these R Nine Tees are lifestyle accoutrements rather than the progressive development of a motorcycle. Style is the only thing that matters now. When form doesn't follow function, I loose interest in 11 seconds. The motor company comes to mind.

Speaking of which, they have a new motor (I guess I can say motor now that Kurt is gone) that has solid lifters and no method of adjustment! Wouldn't that make it like a bic lighter? Disposable? :roll:
Last edited by Zombie Master on Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
George Ryals

Post by George Ryals »

ZM, which new HD motor has solid lifters? Even the motors with hydraulic lifters had adjustable length push rods.
Smile it's contagious!
'74 R90S, '67 /2 Conv w/sc, '66 R50/2
'74 Harley FXE, '72 Harley FLH w/HD sc
'69 BSA 441 Victor Special, '74 R90/6 Basket case
'85 R80RT wreck for parts
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

George Ryals wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:32 pm ZM, which new HD motor has solid lifters? Even the motors with hydraulic lifters had adjustable length push rods.
Milwaukee 8
melville

Post by melville »

Zombie Master wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:22 pm
George Ryals wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:32 pm ZM, which new HD motor has solid lifters? Even the motors with hydraulic lifters had adjustable length push rods.
Milwaukee 8
Hydro lifters, but no way to adjust valves individually:

http://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davids ... ine#page-3

Both intakes and both exhausts are on the same rocker respectively.

They must be confident in getting equal recession rates on the valves.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

[/quote]

Hydro lifters, but no way to adjust valves individually:

http://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davids ... ine#page-3

Both intakes and both exhausts are on the same rocker respectively.

They must be confident in getting equal recession rates on the valves.
[/quote]

I read somewhere that the lifters were solid. Must have been alternative facts. I trust Cycle World, so I stand corrected. Still one would want adjustment. Valve lash is rarely even in my experience. I had a 10 valve Yamaha twin with the first inspection due at 42,000 klms, two were slightly tight. But they weren't even throughout, IMO that motor was as stable as they come.