Ordered one of these today

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
The Veg

Re: Ordered one of these today

Post by The Veg »

Yes, I do have a R1200GS, the second one I've had. Best bike I've ever owned too.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

My
Doctor bought one last week. They have very wide bandwidth.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Though I love my R1200GS, it is a bummer that accessories are so expensive. I'd like to upgrade the suspension but prices to do so start at about $2200. :(

Guess I should have gotten a KLR.
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I'll just stick with my cheap motorcycle but nice helmet and riding suit.
I would definitely buy a Zero over a new BMW.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Steve in Golden wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:45 pm Though I love my R1200GS, it is a bummer that accessories are so expensive. I'd like to upgrade the suspension but prices to do so start at about $2200. :(

Guess I should have gotten a KLR.
Why would you need to upgrade the suspension oo a $25000. motorcycle? Isn't that why you paid so much. That's why I bought my KTM, for the suspension. :|
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Steve in Golden

It was actually "only" a 20K motorcycle ZM. And after 37.5K miles the shocks need replacing. But since it's a ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) equipped machine, it's not cheap to do that. Not to mention it's a BMW (Bring More Wallet). I guess if one can afford a 20K motorcycle, then one should be able to afford suspension upgrades for it too.
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

I paid considerably less for mine, 'only' about 14K but it was 2 years old. That said, it only had 6600 miles on it, was in pristine condition, and the PO had installed about $1500 worth of accessories. And yes, fully loaded with ESA and all the other bells & whistles (which would actually be louder than the stock horn, hence one of my upgrades...'nuther story).
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
Rob

Post by Rob »

The Veg wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:34 pm And yes, fully loaded with ESA and all the other bells & whistles (which would actually be louder than the stock horn, hence one of my upgrades...'nuther story).
Seems to me you were a proponent of the air horn back when you had your airhead? Long time ago.
Rob V
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

At the time, yes, and I put an identical Stebel Nautilus horn on my first GS. But after a few years I became dissatisfied with the Nautilus due to poor reliability from the compressor.

On the current GS I have Hella Supertone horns, a 'muffin' style that comes in a high/low pair and are made for cars. They're loud and obnoxious and really get the job done. Popular with the Subaru-fanboyz too.

The downside is that they are a bit big, so placement was tricky. On the first GS the Nautilus hung up inside the Tupperware, right in the little bit of safe space between the tops of the fork tubes. This space isn't available on this bike as that's where the front ESA-actuator lives. Instead I removed the charcoal canister (which isn't very effective as an emissions control device anyway), which lived underneath the right side of the fuel tank, and rigged-up a place there for the horns. Works great!
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
Steve in Golden

Loud horns probably wouldn't help me much; in a pinch I can never find the damn horn button. Last time somebody cut me off I angrily flashed my left turn signal at them instead of honking the horn.