New to BMW

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Rob

Re: New to BMW

Post by Rob »

Zombie Master wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:36 am Welcome! Best thing is, you won't have to ride a scooter anymore!
You will have to excuse ZM, he is our resident "scooter-hater", if, indeed what you were referring to is a step-through. I know of a lot of Harley riders that refer to their motorcycle as a "scooter".

Anyway, plan on replacing the fuel lines. No "maybe" about it. Regardless if it is the OEM braided cloth (looks neat, lasts 2-3 years), or even more modern, rot-resistant line - if it had fuel in it for 8 years, it is toast.
Rob V
jskafff

Post by jskafff »

Rob wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 4:07 pm
Zombie Master wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:36 am Welcome! Best thing is, you won't have to ride a scooter anymore!
You will have to excuse ZM, he is our resident "scooter-hater", if, indeed what you were referring to is a step-through. I know of a lot of Harley riders that refer to their motorcycle as a "scooter".

Anyway, plan on replacing the fuel lines. No "maybe" about it. Regardless if it is the OEM braided cloth (looks neat, lasts 2-3 years), or even more modern, rot-resistant line - if it had fuel in it for 8 years, it is toast.
Haha it's all good. I don't have plan on getting rid of the scooter either. It's a Honda Ruckus so it is step through but there's something fun about buzzing around on a 50cc and getting excited just because a tail wind brings me to 45mph.

Thanks for the heads up on the lines. I didn't realize they had such a limited life. Will definitely order up some new ones. My service manual came in today too so at least I have some time to read and study before I get to it this weekend.
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

$200 ?!?!?! Hell yeah, you got the deal of the century.

Welcome aboard, even if you do have a scooter.
Rob

Post by Rob »

At least it is a Ruckus!!! 8-)
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Rob wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm At least it is a Ruckus!!! 8-)
I don't consider the Ruckus a scooter. :)

Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Post by Rob »

Zombie Master wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 pm
Rob wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm At least it is a Ruckus!!! 8-)
I don't consider the Ruckus a scooter. :)

Did you teach trump how to back-peddle? :lol:
Rob V
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

I'd post a photo of a hot babe on a scooter but don't want to hose up poor jskaff's thread. Oops too late - we are already off on a tangent about scooters. Sorry Jskaff.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Steve in Golden wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 pm I'd post a photo of a hot babe on a scooter
That's all I needed! Thanks Steve! :P
Rob V
Rob

Post by Rob »

jskafff wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:12 pm Thanks for the heads up on the lines. I didn't realize they had such a limited life.
The OEM stuff (when I last bought any 7 years ago), which is rubber covered with braided cloth, usually black, just does not hold up to today's fuel formulations and/or UV exposure.
I think it's use may have caused more than one airhead VW fire?

But ANY fuel line, if it had fuel sitting in it for 8 years, will be compromised simply because of the fuel in it.

I think Brad Belk (Texas) switched over to modern line and never looked back.

Once you get the bike running, you will learn to shut off the petcock(s) a certain distance from your destination, so that the lines and the float bowls are not full of fuel when parked.

Oh yeah, I owned a Big Ruckus briefly, while soul searching after giving up my 35-year love affair with a R65. The BR was cool, but I felt out of place suited up on it. I traded it in for a CBR250R, that I sold last summer during a 11-month layoff. I miss the purr of the opposed twin, that you will soon learn to love.

You will also have to learn to balance carburetors! :twisted:
Rob V
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Rob wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 7:32 pm ...
I miss the purr of the opposed twin, that you will soon learn to love.
Aw Rob, reading that caused activity in my tear ducts. You need another airhead.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)