Anti Seize

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

Anti Seize

Post by Zombie Master »

What kind do you you like, and where?

I use copper mostly.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Re: Anti Seize

Post by Rob »

I used the silver for years and years. A small jar with a brush should last the average enthusiast most of their life? (Ken is not your average enthusiast!)

I don't think I ever tried copper, although I would be tempted if I needed some.

As I remember, I only used it on the exhaust nut and spark plug threads.

A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing due to weathering or chemicals. Anti-Seize assures easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°C to 871°C).
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Isn't using Aluminum Anti Seize on Aluminum a problem?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think that is why folks were switching to copper based.

I never had to cut an exhaust nut, except for maybe a used engine new to me. I removed them annually and bathed them and renewed their anti seize.

The only time I had trouble with a spark plug was in the early days when the bike was under warranty and still being serviced by the dealer. I seem to recall it needing a helicoil early on, on the original engine.

Once again, I pulled my spark plugs often enough that they were kept clean and fresh, as well.

Lousy at keeping oil stains and road grime off the bike, though.
Rob V
Rob

Post by Rob »

You are right! This is the one!
And the perfect dielectric grease!

A premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant that may be used to prevent seizing, corrosion and galling where high temperature conditions exist. Contains a high percentage of micro-fine copper flakes in a semi-synthetic grease carrier and is fortified with high quality rust and corrosion inhibitors. Temperature range: -30°F to 1800°F (-34°C to 982°C). Provides good electrical conductivity.
https://www.permatex.com/products/lubri ... lubricant/
Rob V
dougie

Post by dougie »

Before all the scientific/chemical arguments start, I have used both without a problem. One time I couldn't find it in my messy shop so I used Moly60, also no problem.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I have a tube of the aluminium stuff.
I use it on the exhaust nuts and on the header pipe where the muffler slips over it. Just a smear.
I can't recall a problem but I do tend to remove the exhaust every 10Kkm when I do an oil filter change. Everything gets a clean and fresh application then.
I'll get the copper version next. My current tube is almost empty.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Snowbum indicates that the permatex products tend to have copper in them, although they might be masked by other elements. Specs would show that. He says that his favorite is Never-Seez, Pure Nickel rated to 2600 degrees. BMW recommended Never-Seez in a 1989 service bulletin.

Kurt in S.A.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

I've been using the Permatex copper one in a tube. I always put lots on the exhaust nuts, Super Trapp hardware for the disks and all the clamp threads on exhaust system. Had it for years and never a problem. Why is copper bad?