What is it?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

What is it?

Post by Zombie Master »

I was going through some BMW bits and found this. Must have bought it at a BMW rally many years ago. I think it's a wheel bearing greaser. What do you think? Would it work on my 84 R100?

Any and all disclaimers may apply
jagarra

Re: What is it?

Post by jagarra »

You are correct, bearing greaser.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Duane shows something similar to that here:

http://w6rec.com/bmw-motorcycle-wheel-b ... spun-hubs/

But there are some differences.

Kurt in S.A.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Kurt in S.A. wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 7:38 pm Duane shows something similar to that here:

http://w6rec.com/bmw-motorcycle-wheel-b ... spun-hubs/

But there are some differences.

Kurt in S.A.
Wow! Duane has been busy upgrading his website! I haven't been there for a while.
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Without taking my wheel apart, could I determine if this would fit?
I'm about half way through my rear tire. I just bought bearing seals from BMW$$$$$$$ that I would like to save till I get new rubber. I'm just wondering if I could actually use this thing to lube my wheel bearings in the meantime. Where is Duane? Has he forsaken us :(
Rob

Post by Rob »

Duane won't know anything about a bike as new as yours.

You have a single-sided swingarm, right? I don't think that wheel has bearings. They are all in the final drive. (?)

You might be able to use it for the front wheel. (???)
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Rob wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 2:02 am Duane won't know anything about a bike as new as yours.

You have a single-sided swingarm, right? I don't think that wheel has bearings. They are all in the final drive. (?)

You might be able to use it for the front wheel. (???)
Mine is a twin shock.
Rob

Post by Rob »

That is bad. I am always off a decade. I wonder if there is a medical term for it. Oh shit, I have a pre-existing condition. Unless I screw up in the future, in which case I have a not-yet-existing condition. Whew!
Rob V
Rob

Post by Rob »

From the description of the one sold on CycleWorks.net, 1984 was the last year for this tool.

http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=48
Rob V
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

I went to use this tool the other day when I decided to grease my front wheels bearings. Well after I removed the wheel and axle it wouldn't fit. I contacted Cycleworks and they came back and told me since I had a 14mm axle I had to removed an insert from the center of the bearing. They did tell me it would fit the rear bearings OK. So then I had to make a special spanner to take of the cap with the 4 pin holes in there to check the bearings, they had grease on them so they were OK.
Since I now had the tools to take the caps off I decided to check the end play, followed Duane's shake n bake method, figured I had too much preload, so off I went to order different wedding bands. Of course, right after I order something I get impatient and work on the problem while I wait, decided I just had to make the band a smidge smaller so I zinged a bit off in the lathe. Now it seems to be about perfect with the recommended torque setting on the axle nut.
Careful using that grease tool, it can create new issues :shock:
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R