Ordered one of these today

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
The Veg

Re: Ordered one of these today

Post by The Veg »

Rob wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 7:34 pmDo Windjammers work well with Laminar Lips?
My first thought as well. If Laminar doesn't have something that would fit, I have seen some other deflector-thingees on the market that attach to the top of just about any windscreen.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
"A bunch of weirdos with old motorcycles can never be boring." -Doug West
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

Until recently I was a huge fan of Scorpion helmets, which come with a really good anti-fog coating on their faceshields. I was surprised at how well it works! Unfortunately, Scorpion have changed their designs and no longer fit my odd-shaped head very comfortably. A flip-front HJC is what I have now, not a perfect fit, but the nearest compromise I can find after hunting high and low for weeks.
But back to the anti-fog coating: it blows my mind that no other helmet-maker can come up with something as good. Seriously!

I've never used Pinlock but the idea of having to buy yet another thing to make my helmet work better seems stoopid, especially as Scorpion proved that it doesn't have to be that way. And Pinlock has been around for ages; why are helmet-makers just now all getting onto that bandwagon?
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Most decent helmets come with the pin lock lense. I got one with my Lazer, but I have never needed it. From what I've read, Scorpion is very heavy. I just can't express how much better a truly light weight helmet feels. The one I wore today weighs in at 1150 grams. I could never go back to a heavy lid. Of course you have to find one that fits. It's worth the effort.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle- ... eights.htm
Any and all disclaimers may apply
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

Rob wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 7:29 pm
dwerbil wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 pm I always want loud horns and PUSH BUTTONS to activate them. The '93 K1100RS and '04 R1150RT both have LIFT-to-use buttons. There is nothing natural to me to lift one's left thumb to use the damn horn as opposed to a simple push button. Fumbling around for the damn LIFT button in a crisis situation is going to get me killed some day. LIFT-THUMB-TO-USE HORN BUTTONS BE DAMNED TO HELL FOR EVER!
There, I feel better.

I wonder if you could switch the wires for the horn with the turn signal? That would give you a push to activate horn?
And anyone new to the bike would quickly learn the ways of the mod. :)

I liked the simplicity and logic of left and right directionals on one sideways toggle switch. I really lucked out choosing the quirky R65 to learn airhead on.
Rob, thanks for your input, but...(already thought about this)...the horn 'button' is a momentary on button, the turn signal one is a on/off switch. Re-design.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
Rob

Post by Rob »

dwerbil wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 2:12 pm Re-design.
You and Veg and Steve in Golden need to have a summit with a 3D printer and produce these. I'll bet you could sell more than a few.
Rob V
The Veg

Post by The Veg »

dwerbil wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 2:12 pm(already thought about this)...the horn 'button' is a momentary on button, the turn signal one is a on/off switch. Re-design.
I think switching the wiring would actually work. The turn signal button seems to be momentary-on as well, since you just push it once to activate the signal and either you push a different button to cancel or the signal times-out(or distances-out as in the newer bikes). The signal button doesn't stay pushed, which tells me that it's just creating a momentary circuit that makes another component 'latch' the signal on until unlatched by either the cancel button or the time-limit.
Cogito Ergo Moto
----------------
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah, but I got to use the word "summit"!
Rob V
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

It would be too traumatic in the winter. That thing really helps keep me warm. I don't know about Laminar lips, never heard of one of them on a Windjammer.

Speaking of Windjammers, I wonder if Craig Vetter is getting any better.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker