Best time period apparel

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Mottseng

Best time period apparel

Post by Mottseng »

Since purchasing the R75/5 I have been looking for the best leather jacket and helmet to wear that matches the era of the bike but still provides a current level of protection. I think you know where I am coming from here. I don't want to wear colourful crotch rocket gear riding around on a classic bike?

Let me know what other are sporting and include pictures if you have any.

Thanks
1973 75/5
Seth

Re: Best time period apparel

Post by Seth »

Pricey but what you are looking for even though it's not leather.

http://www.aerostich.com/jackets-pants/ ... acket.html
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Anything pretentious is that. I can only speak for myself, but I loath retro. Maybe because I grew up on lousy British Bikes, there is no romance for me in anachronism. I've been riding BMW since 1971, and have never thought about style. It was always function. Form should follow function. I've got leathers from more than 30 years ago but never wear them because they suck compared to my modern gear. Weather proof, breathable, photo chromatic face shield on my 1150 gram carbon fiber helmet. Because it makes riding better and safer. If I fall down, my D3O armor absorbs impact in a way old pads never could. The airhead is the thinking mans motorcyle. Trying to look cool.... isn't. IMO

This is what I wear for a jacket.

https://i1.wp.com/canadamotoguide.com/w ... C472&ssl=1
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I don't know how many of my good rally photos using flash have been ruined by you blokes looking like the second coming. :geek:
Lord of the Bings
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

ME 109 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:19 am I don't know how many of my good rally photos using flash have been ruined by you blokes looking like the second coming. :geek:
Aye matey, and I still can! :twisted:
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

ME 109 wrote:I don't know how many of my good rally photos using flash have been ruined by you blokes looking like the second coming. :geek:
Be seen, be safe :?: ;)
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Ken in Oklahoma

Post by Ken in Oklahoma »

Zombie Master wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:54 am Anything pretentious is that. . . Trying to look cool.... isn't. IMO
I suggest that all of those 'trying to look cool' aren't necessarily trying to look cool. For example, if I were invited to go horseback riding in the mountains I would likely choose to wear western gear in lieu of, say, modern mountain biking gear. Why? Pretending for the moment that traditional western riding gear and mountain biking gear are roughly functionally equivalent, I would choose the traditional riding gear in a sense to acknowledge a bygone place and time. Also to 'feel' that place and time; not necessarily out of homage, but to acquire the experience for myself.

Ken

Post by Mottseng »

I can see that some read my post and others really didn't. Seth, thanks for your reply and that is a great looking jacket that although not leather it fits the bill. I never said that I was willing to sacrifice comfort, form or safety. Second coming or retro look opinion is irrelevent to my question and yes I do want to look cool because I believe I have a cool bike.
1973 75/5
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

http://www.langlitz.com/columbia/

They make nice pants too, though I need to get the leg zippers re-done on mine.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Ken in Oklahoma wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:34 am
Zombie Master wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:54 am Anything pretentious is that. . . Trying to look cool.... isn't. IMO
Pretending for the moment that traditional western riding gear and mountain biking gear are roughly functionally equivalent, I would choose the traditional riding gear in a sense to acknowledge a bygone place and time. Also to 'feel' that place and time; not necessarily out of homage, but to acquire the experience for myself.

Ken
Why would you want to "pretend" that traditional western riding gear and mountain biking gear are roughly functionally equivalent? That makes no sense. Those are very different activities with different requirements.