A buddy asked me....

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

A buddy asked me....

Post by Zombie Master »

...to suggest an affordable riding jacket. I came up with this:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fir ... aro-jacket

Any other options?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Re: A buddy asked me....

Post by Rob »

Yeah, the nearly full high viz version of the same thing.

I sure do love those under helmet hoods!
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Yea that hood seems like a nice feature.

The only thing about the High Viz, it would make you more visible to the cops. I'm more of a stealth guy, relying on my absolute belief that I am always totally invisible to all road users, to protect me.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

► I'm all about defensive riding, so I wear Hi-Viz coat and helmet and ride a bright yellow RS. I also believe in headlamp modulators and flashing brake lamps. To me, riding on the street is more like a gladiatorial contest.

Hiding is just foolish. There's 100 blind/ distracted citizens that want to kill you for every cop that cares. I don't like those odds.

► The secret to avoiding the cops is good mufflers. If they don't hear you, then they won't look up from their work. Secondly, it helps to wear saddlebags. Everyone knows "crotch rockets" are the speeders, and Gold Wings (that is, any bike with bags) are law abiding citizens. The point is... sound like and look like a touring bike and you can go any speed you want.

I ride just as fast or faster than anyone else, but I never call attention to myself with showy starts, throttle jacking, Mohawk helmets, all that crazy stuff that says "come and get me" to a cop. And I haven't been pulled over in 30 years.

The bottom line: Hide in plain sight.

Just my 2 cents. 8-)
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Back to the Hi-Viz jackets... the only down side is that they show grease and oil really fast. If you're a "neat-nik", then you might want to study the washing instructions before buying. And make sure not to use your jacket as a dipstick wipe.

I can afford any accessory, but I buy most of my stuff (helmets being the only exception) off CraigsList. I usually pay ~$25 an item, that way I can have a complete 4 season wardrobe for next to nothing.

;)
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Wobbly wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:25 pm Back to the Hi-Viz jackets... the only down side is that they show grease and oil really fast. If you're a "neat-nik", then you might want to study the washing instructions before buying. And make sure not to use your jacket as a dipstick wipe.

I can afford any accessory, but I buy most of my stuff (helmets being the only exception) off CraigsList. I usually pay ~$25 an item, that way I can have a complete 4 season wardrobe for next to nothing.

;)
We disagree here as well. You're not getting the latest technology when buying used riding gear for $25. Riding gear is improving rapidly. I want the latest technology. If you can "afford any accessory," why cheap out? It's your life, your short, gone in a second life.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Wobbly wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm
► I'm all about defensive riding, so I wear Hi-Viz coat and helmet and ride a bright yellow RS. I also believe in headlamp modulators and flashing brake lamps.

I agree that making yourself visible is a a good idea, as long as you aren't counting on it. The headlight modulators are very, very annoying, and distracting to other road users.
Hiding is just foolish. There's 100 blind/ distracted citizens that want to kill you for every cop that cares. I don't like those odds.
Hiding has saved me a shitload of money and saved me from going to court many times. Locally, I have escape routes that allow me to disappear without any drama. All it takes is some bored cop to set up somewhere unexpected with laser. Just a single excessive speeding charge, can change your life. You could loose your license for doing nothing dangerous. Unlawful excessive speed is not fast for any healthy Airhead. My R100 is geared, designed, and maintained, to safely ride at high road speeds. I bought it because of it's competency, and for the enjoyment for sporting riding. That's what it is for IMO.

The point is... sound like and look like a touring bike and you can go any speed you want.
Nonsense. The laser doesn't care about style. You present a big bright target, and they pull the trigger.
I ride just as fast or faster than anyone else,
How can you write that? Your name wouldn't be.......Don?
Rob

Post by Rob »

ZM wrote:Unlawful excessive speed is not fast for any healthy Airhead. My R100 is geared, designed, and maintained, to safely ride at high road speeds.
It would only be "safe" if you were guaranteed to be the only road user within a mile of your constantly moving location.

And that includes wildlife.
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Rob wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:43 pm
ZM wrote:Unlawful excessive speed is not fast for any healthy Airhead. My R100 is geared, designed, and maintained, to safely ride at high road speeds.
It would only be "safe" if you were guaranteed to be the only road user within a mile of your constantly moving location.

And that includes wildlife.
Slow riding is distracted riding. 8-)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Zombie Master wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:06 am
Wobbly wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:16 pm
► I'm all about defensive riding, so I wear Hi-Viz coat and helmet and ride a bright yellow RS. I also believe in headlamp modulators and flashing brake lamps.

I agree that making yourself visible is a a good idea, as long as you aren't counting on it. The headlight modulators are very, very annoying, and distracting to other road users.
Hiding has saved me a shitload of money and saved me from going to court many times. Locally, I have escape routes that allow me to disappear without any drama. All it takes is some bored cop to set up somewhere unexpected with laser. Just a single excessive speeding charge, can change your life. You could loose your license for doing nothing dangerous. Unlawful excessive speed is not fast for any healthy Airhead. My R100 is geared, designed, and maintained, to safely ride at high road speeds. I bought it because of it's competency, and for the enjoyment for sporting riding. That's what it is for IMO.

The point is... sound like and look like a touring bike and you can go any speed you want.
Nonsense. The laser doesn't care about style. You present a big bright target, and they pull the trigger.
I ride just as fast or faster than anyone else,
How can you write that? Your name wouldn't be.......Don?
:lol: Hey I tried to make fun of ZM' quoting skills and I got stuck in here too!
Lord of the Bings