old scool new bikes

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Zombie Master

Re: old scool new bikes

Post by Zombie Master »

I'm not traveling that far, for only ten days. Looks like a changeling ride!
Last edited by Zombie Master on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Post by Rob »

What would you change into?
Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Rob wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:53 pm What would you change into?
KTM?
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Zombie Master wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:42 pm When was the last time the Royal Enfield was built in England? 1960's?
~1963 for the singles, and ~1967 for the twins. They had built a plant in India after the war, which continued building them after the English ceased production. Basically, after the war the typical English family could afford a car. So on a need-income basis, India in the 50's was where the British were in the 30's.
Zombie Master wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:42 pm Sealants are much better today than back then.
It's more a matter of workmanship. Remember, the British factory had been building guns all during the 1900's; "Built like a gun" was more than a company motto. Up until about ~2000, the Indian Bullet was jokingly considered a "kit bike". You'd take the new bike home and disassemble it to re-seal all the joints before riding. But that's all fixed now.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

SteveD wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 am I think that there were reports of rods thru crankcases. My friend disputes any issue.
The stock Indian Enfield runs 6:1 compression for reliability and due to the poor grades of fuel found in rural India. Although the engine oil is filtered and big-end plain bearing is substantial, if you bring them up to a more typical 9:1 compression, then you also have to add the roller rod kit, as per the English models. Since the 3-piece crank needs a truing stand to re-assemble, this can't be done at home. So most novice hot rod types simply fit the upgraded piston and hope for the best.

So I ascribe this to typical weenie internet drivel. Seriously, who in their right mind pumps up engine HP output by a whopping 25% and then expects zero consequences ?
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

The Himalayan has a 9.5 to 1 CR and has shim tappet adjusters. I'd like to see them brought to Canada. I've also read about a 750CC adventure bike.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Back to the intent of the thread....

Check out the 2017 R Nine T Racer
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Poser hipster bike.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Wobbly wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm Back to the intent of the thread....

Check out the 2017 R Nine T Racer
Oh! The power shake! I had forgotten about that! Looks like I will be shopping for a new airhead!

(was that a contrived accent?)
Rob V
robert

Post by robert »

Trim about a hundred pounds off that pig and you may have something.