I put a deposit down on a G310 GS

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Ridercam

I put a deposit down on a G310 GS

Post by Ridercam »

This long time original airhead has made a move forward. I still am keeping the R100CS for the time being as we have been together for 25 years. Over the years she has taken me on many adventures. I suffered a O ring failure which needs to be figured out and a complete restore isn't out of the question.

I just wanted a bike that i didn't have to source parts, could ride over fire roads, hard pack, two lanes and work as a commuter. I've got nothing to prove. 34 hp is ok by me. For around 6k, i finally found a toy i could justify and live with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2hdekJoDIw
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Rob

Re: I put a deposit down on a G310 GS

Post by Rob »

6K for a bike with a Roundel? Not bad! Congratulations!
Rob V
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Thanks much.

I don't imagine any new BMW bike is really german anymore. This one is being made in India. I am told I will get it in January, one of the first to come to the States. I figured the BMW german engineers and german factory techs will be there for the first couple hundred. I think the fit, finish and quality will be spot on for the first batches headed here.

These 310 motors may be part of the relaunch of the brand. New motorcycles are obscenely priced. A r1200 is over 17k before dealer markup and the F650 & 700s are over 13. That was too rich for my hard scrabble dollar. I can see these bikes becoming this eras new hondas where one meet the nicest people on simple, fresh bikes. The sticker shock of buying new airhead parts were part of my decision as my own old bike inches toward the back of the garage. I ride in the urban jungle and don't want to worry about where i have to park as much as i do.
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Centerstand optional?
Rob V
melville

Post by melville »

Rob wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:09 pm Centerstand optional?
Look at the pic! Sidestand also optional. The bike holds itself up!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

If the shoe fits......
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Zombie Master wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:02 pm If the shoe fits......
The bike is cheap. The BMW shoe I need to finance.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Ridercam wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:41 am
Zombie Master wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:02 pm If the shoe fits......
The bike is cheap. The BMW shoe I need to finance.
Nice to have a new bike! Now just don't let the dealer touch it, and you'll be fine. I never took my Suzuki DR650 in for it's first service. Supposed to have a 5 year warranty, but if you modify the bike, the warranty is gone for the most part, at least where I live. Hope you have many years of enjoyment from that machine :)

Funny to think that style is so popular now, I bought a new Yamaha Super Tenere (XTZ 750) in 1990. There were no bikes like that on the road at that time. Folks use to look at me like I was an alien. I also had one of the first BMW flip up (system one) helmets at the same time. I'd pull up next to a Harley at a stoplight, flip up my helmet and look down quizzically at the Harley, and ask them: What kind of bike is that? I got addicted to doing that, the reactions were so great. It wasn't like they had a chance in hell of catching me in any event.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
dougie

Post by dougie »

Zombie Master wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:30 am I'd pull up next to a Harley at a stoplight, flip up my helmet and look down quizzically at the Harley, and ask them: What kind of bike is that? I got addicted to doing that, the reactions were so great. It wasn't like they had a chance in hell of catching me in any event.
I had a similar prank for H.D.'s.
I would say something small and chrome fell off their bike about a mile back. They always believed me. :twisted:
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

dougie wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:02 pm ...I had a similar prank for H.D.'s.
I would say something small and chrome fell off their bike about a mile back. They always believed me. :twisted:
That is such a nasty thing to do, Doug. Sociopathic evil in fact. It could ruin the poor guy's day. Maybe his whole life.

I can't wait to try it.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)