switched circuit

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Zombie Master

switched circuit

Post by Zombie Master »

84 R100
Is there a switched accessory circuit in the headlight shell where I can hook up some non OEM grip heaters? Do I need a relay? Things are a bit tight inside the headlight shell, as I have an LED H4 replacement. OR, does anybody know of an available OEM heated grip set up for sale? Thanx! :geek:
Any and all disclaimers may apply
SteveD

Re: switched circuit

Post by SteveD »

Isn't there a spot in the loom for heated grips?
ME109 will know.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

I really don't believe there is, and the best source for power depends upon the Wattage of the grips.

With any heater over 15W, most people would run a new wire back to the battery Pos terminal to power the grips. But you don't want a straight wiring job or you may forget to turn them OFF and end up with a dead battery. Since most later BMWs are electric start only, that's not much fun. So you need a relay in the circuit that takes its coil power from a Grn/Blk wire. That way when the ignition key is OFF, the grips also turn OFF.
Last edited by Wobbly on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
dougie

Post by dougie »

SteveD wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:27 am Isn't there a spot in the loom for heated grips?
ME109 will know.
My '87 had a spot in the main loom for heated grips.
I did not use/need a relay.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I wired straight to battery, and only managed to leave them on once, and that was at a fellow airheads for an overnight. After trying to push-start that weenie R65 a few times, we went with Plan B, and jumped off his car. Neither of us was hurt in the fall, thankfully.

On my sidecar rig (NOT a show queen...), I made a flat plate for the switch, on which I added a red indicator light.

On my CBR250R, I went modern and ran a relay off of the taillight wire.
Rob V
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

SteveD wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:27 am Isn't there a spot in the loom for heated grips?
ME109 will know.
My Oxford grips are wired straight to the battery. The Oxford system relies on a charging signal from the battery, so if the bike is not running there is no 'signal' and the grips will turn themselves off after two minutes. I can't recall if there is a relay or not. I'll check it out later.
Lord of the Bings
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Zombie Master wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:12 am 84 R100
Is there a switched accessory circuit in the headlight shell where I can hook up some non OEM grip heaters? Do I need a relay? Things are a bit tight inside the headlight shell, as I have an LED H4 replacement. OR, does anybody know of an available OEM heated grip set up for sale? Thanx! :geek:
A spare green and black terminal in the bucket will give you power on with ignition, but generally only used as a switch wire to a relay.
What are your watts?
Heated grips are great on my RS in winter. :geek:
Actually they're that good I can use them as hot dog roll heaters when camping.
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I was talking to a bloke today that I hadn't seen for years. He's mostly into Italian bikes but he's bought himself a 84 R100.

He said it had a spot on the loom to directly connect heated grips to, but he didn't know when they added that to the loom.

Before chopping back into the crowded headlight it might be worth confirming this one way or the other.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
dougie

Post by dougie »

SteveD wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:30 am I was talking to a bloke today that I hadn't seen for years. He's mostly into Italian bikes but he's bought himself a 84 R100.

He said it had a spot on the loom to directly connect heated grips to, but he didn't know when they added that to the loom.

Before chopping back into the crowded headlight it might be worth confirming this one way or the other.
ZM.
IIRC, the two wires were among the wires that travelled along the centre frame tube.
Do you have a wiring diagram specific to your R100 ?
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I'll have a look at my manual. Thanx!
Any and all disclaimers may apply