UTT Master Cylinder pressure light

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Wobbly

Re: UTT Master Cylinder pressure light

Post by Wobbly »

I beg to differ on 2 counts...
► I've converted several BMWs with no downside. One of my bikes is an older Ate system and the other is a newer Brembo system. I think you got your facts reversed. Silicone is one of the most inert substances known, especially to synthetic elastomers like neoprene and viton. It's the caustic polyethylene glycol-based DOT3 and DOT4 fluids that need to be matched to specific, specially formulated seals to prevent leaks. DOT3 and DOT4 is so corrosive that it will eat the paint right off anything it touches !

► Dealership mechanics must fall back on the manufacturer's recommendations to sustain the warranty. Manufacturers like Brembo, Ate and Lockheed cannot recommend DOT5 because they have not tested their products with it. They have only tested their product with the fluids they market, which they also expect you to buy at highly inflated prices. So of course Oak, being a dealership mechanic, falls back on what BMW specifies.

So tell me this... does anyone here buy BMW brake fluid (83 13 0 443 023 BRAKE FLUID DOT4 - 250ML) at $35 a can, or do you go to WalMart and buy the no-name fluid for $3 ?? And the last time I saw DOT4 in the LAPS it was "synthetic DOT4". Has anyone here had that chemically analyzed to insure it works with Ate and Brembo seals ? So don't give me the "compatibility argument" when you're pulling substitutes yourself.

You can do what you want, but I'm telling you the last fuel tank I had painted was $750. So as for me and mine, I'm going to run a brake fluid that stops my bike AND protects all my paint work.

All the best.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

There is no reason to get brake fluid on your paint. That is sloppy work. I have learned over and over again, that following the manufactures recommendations provides a better job, less time wasted, better value, and most importantly better safety. You've done this conversion to several bikes, that's not enough data to ignore the directions of the engineers of der fatherland. Do the job the right way the first time, and save your time and money.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob V
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

No alternative facts on Boxerworks!
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

Zombie Master wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:38 pm There is no reason to get brake fluid on your paint.
Unless you're a clumsy guy like I am sometimes.

Friends don't let friends use those miserable under the tank master cylinders.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Steve in Golden wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:49 pm
Zombie Master wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:38 pm There is no reason to get brake fluid on your paint.
Unless you're a clumsy guy like I am sometimes.

Friends don't let friends use those miserable under the tank master cylinders.
They are excellent when crashing. :geek:
dirtsurfer

Post by dirtsurfer »

I appreciate all the effort you blokes are putting into this but also feel a bit guilty as I haven't even lifted the tank to have a look at the issue yet. My fuel filters arrived yesterday so maybe this week end.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

dirtsurfer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:34 pm I appreciate all the effort you blokes are putting into this but also feel a bit guilty as I haven't even lifted the tank to have a look at the issue yet. My fuel filters arrived yesterday so maybe this week end.
No effort at all. It is, after all, religion.
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Zombie Master wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:38 pm There is no reason to get brake fluid on your paint. That is sloppy work.
You have simply misunderstood. The act of dispersing brake fluid does not require conscious activity by a human. The OP's master cylinder is UNDER the fuel tank where it cannot be observed. When those master cylinders leak, they dribble fluid all over the painted frame and a host of electrical harness connections. Wind (from riding the motorcycle) will then loft the fluid and coat the underside of the fuel tank "tunnel". This condition can exist for months and create quite a mess before the fuel tank is ever removed.

That's the specific conditions under discussion here.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

dirtsurfer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:34 pm ...but also feel a bit guilty as I haven't even lifted the tank to have a look at the issue yet.
My friend, you need to feel more than a "bit" guilty. You need to get down on that cold concrete floor, and prostrate yourself toward Munich. Total forgiveness can usually only be granted after your scourge your backside with a drive shaft. You'll be lucky to escape with a mere warning from the AirHead Gestapo.

Expect a midnight visit !

:lol: