How to Wake Up a 1975 r90/6?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Kurt in S.A.

Re: How to Wake Up a 1975 r90/6?

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

Bikes are so personal. I'm a fairing guy...I've had the Luftmeister on my '78 R100/7 since I got it in 1980. My Honda 750-4 before that had a Windjammer. I don't have the wind-beaten effect after riding all day. But as they say, YMMV!

Kurt in S.A.
Steve in Golden

Re: Fairing

Post by Steve in Golden »

Yeah, nothing at all to block the wind is not good.

I prefer a medium sized windshield. Or the "S" fairing. Had one of those on my R100/7 and it was decent wind protection.
Eatinbugs

Post by Eatinbugs »

The fairing is actually a Wixom Bros, Inc., out of Long Beach, California (tag riveted on). A high quality piece in excellent condition, including the scratch-free windshield. It does look almost identical to the Fulmer pictured in the link from Kurt in S.A.

However, I prefer smaller fairings and have taken the Wixom off. I may ride without a fairing for a while, then look for an S-fairing, or a pick up a smaller Dart "Marlin" fly screen (pics attached). I had an r90s for a half dozen years and for me that fairing worked well and is quite pretty. The Wixom will probably head to Craigslist.

Regards, Mr. Bugs
Attachments
Blue R90.6 w S Fairing.jpeg
Blue R90.6 w S Fairing.jpeg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG (72.73 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

If I'm not mistaken, Arthur Fulmer and Wixom merged as time went on. A picture of a Wixom is the lower right on this page:

http://w6rec.com/wp-content/uploads/201 ... iew-17.jpg

Kurt in S.A.
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

Givi do a similar screen, the A210 which fits fits direct to the headlight bolts.
After widening the LH slot if you have the ignition switch at that location, of course.
Looks neat and works surprisingly well, as long as you like your head in clean air.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

I'd replace the gas line. I've been told the weaved stuff isn't as good as modern fuel line. There are some fuel line sold for Airheads, that is close to fitting, but too tight. You don't want to have to force the line on to the fittings. I would loose the giant fairing in favor of better handling. Lovely bike. Rode one just like it for 11 years.

I once saw a MV Agusta 750 America with a Windjammer....unholy.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Wobbly

Post by Wobbly »

Zombie Master wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:55 am I'd replace the gas line. I've been told the weaved stuff isn't as good as modern fuel line.
► Agreed. The ethanol now in the fuel will make the older fuel line deteriorate rapidly. You'll be forced to replace it within the first 6 months for one reason or another. The newest fuel line is usually stamped with the SAE J30 spec for use with alcohol laden fuels. On my R100, regular US-made 1/4 inch ID black automotive fuel line worked best. Simply grease the barbs before sliding the hose over the fittings.

http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

► I highly recommend that you plan the air filter inspection, mouse clean-out, and fuel line replacement as a single maintenance quest. This is becasue both the air cleaner housings have to come off to route the cross-over portion of the fuel line.

Take your time and trim the fuel tubing to very close tolerances. Otherwise the T-fitting may be pulled up or down which can kink the cross-over tube and thereby cut off the fuel supply. Don't ask me how I know this. :roll:

Hope this helps.
After 20 years as a professional bike mechanic and 30 years as an engineer I know just enough to be dangerous !