Anybody running Dunlop tires?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Steve in Golden

Anybody running Dunlop tires?

Post by Steve in Golden »

If you are running Dunlops you might find this article interesting. I tried them for a little while and did not like the way they handled. Seems I might have made the right decision by going back to Metzelers.

Fatal motorcycle tire blowouts not enough to prompt Goodyear recall
Gibson

Re: Anybody running Dunlop tires?

Post by Gibson »

I,m rolling around on 25 year old Metzelers. They have no sidewall checking at all, and lots of tread. I Know...possibly not the best idea, but they have lots of life left. If I had a Harley with one of those Dunlops, I would not use it until that tire is replaced. That is bad situation!
Steve in Golden

25 year old Metzelers!?! You are living dangerously my friend. I'd get new tires stat! Rubber hardens after a while, even if the tires had never been mounted I would not use them.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Steve in Golden wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:07 pm 25 year old Metzelers!?! You are living dangerously my friend. I'd get new tires stat! Rubber hardens after a while, even if the tires had never been mounted I would not use them.
+1
Any and all disclaimers may apply
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Tires that are approaching 7-8 years old have ended their life as far as I am concerned. When I bought my Oilhead it had a set of Metzeler Z6 tires on them, very little wear, no checking, but they were pushing 7-8 years depending the the manufacturing codes and they were scary going into a corner. After my first ride on them they were replaced with a set of Michelin Pilots.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Steve in Golden

Same here jagarra. When I bought an '02 R1150R I had for a while, it had been sitting for quite a while. It had some tires on it that looked fine, don't recall what brand they were. But they were old tires and the rubber was hard and that bike was friggin' scary going around corners. Then I put new tires on it and what a world of difference.
Beemerboff

Post by Beemerboff »

These allegedly bad tires were all Goodyear US made 402s on Harleys.
In Oz every Dunlop I have seen in Airhead sizes has been made in Japan.
Tire life is also related to the compound - I put the super sticky Dunlop classic race tires on my BSA B44 and the shelf life was months, not years.
The stock classic road version works fine as a 80/20 om my R75/7 - I prefer them to Pilot Activs
I run Dunlop D603s on my R80 G/S and they have been the best bang for the buck I have found , up with the Enduro 3s on road and off and in Oz about 60% of the price.