Electronic ignition on /5

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
slyngej

Electronic ignition on /5

Post by slyngej »

Hi everyone
Im planning on installing electronic ignition on my 75/5. Ive been looking on quite a few but its really difficult to figure out which one is the optimal.
I'd like to be able to use the kickstarter, but theres quite a few of the products on the markets which says nonono.
I wouldnt mind replacing the coils either.

I need to install a new timing chain kit anyway soon, but are there any products which doesnt need the timing chain system (so it could be totally removed)?

Been looking a bit on this kit, but i am very open to suggestions and thoughts from all of you guys!
https://www.bmwbayer.de/en/Power-Ignition-Silent-Hektik

cheers steffen
barryh

Re: Electronic ignition on /5

Post by barryh »

The link you posted has a crank driven trigger which is a good thing and eliminates any flutter due to the timing chain. There are others but one thing I would look for is the ability to drive lower resistance coils like the ones used with BMW's own electronic ignition. Without changing the coils you will get very little real benefit in terms of spark energy and frankly I would stick with points rather than investing big bucks for a system that doesn't produce a stronger spark.
barry
Cheshire
England
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

Green Dyna coil and Alpha Electronic Ignition is a great combination. Can still use kickstart if you want to.
slyngej

Post by slyngej »

barryh wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:07 am The link you posted has a crank driven trigger which is a good thing and eliminates any flutter due to the timing chain. There are others but one thing I would look for is the ability to drive lower resistance coils like the ones used with BMW's own electronic ignition. Without changing the coils you will get very little real benefit in terms of spark energy and frankly I would stick with points rather than investing big bucks for a system that doesn't produce a stronger spark.
Alternatively, they also have a kit which includes alternative coils, prob fitted to their ignition system? Could this be a good option then?
https://www.bmwbayer.de/en/Electronic-I ... ent-Hektik
slyngej

Post by slyngej »

Foxy wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:25 am Green Dyna coil and Alpha Electronic Ignition is a great combination. Can still use kickstart if you want to.
The alpha ignition system is mounted on the crank as well right? In that case, the timing chain system is unnecessary?
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

While the purist in me thinks that a system driven from the crankshaft would be better, I really don't think it's going to make a lot of difference to the way the bike runs... as long as the chain is good of course.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

I have the Alpha V.3 system. It works well. Timing advance is no longer controlled by weights and springs. Timing is set, then forget it. My engine was idling at 2K rpm intermittently. The ignition was advancing at idle when engine was very hot due to weak springs or sticking in the bean can.
Foxy

Post by Foxy »

Sorry, the Alpha ignition system is cam driven not crank driven. If you are replacing the cam chain/sprockets it’ll work fine. As Gibson says, it’s a massive improvement over the stock mechanical advance set up. Most of the old mechanical advance units are worn out by now. I’m sure the Silent Hektik is a great upgrade. A fair bit more expensive than the Alpha though.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

Foxy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:50 am Sorry, the Alpha ignition system is cam driven not crank driven. If you are replacing the cam chain/sprockets it’ll work fine. As Gibson says, it’s a massive improvement over the stock mechanical advance set up. Most of the old mechanical advance units are worn out by now. I’m sure the Silent Hektik is a great upgrade. A fair bit more expensive than the Alpha though.
The Alpha system although not crank driven solves the biggest issue with these machines (the mechanical advance). My R65, R100R, and R100 Mystic all had sticking mechanical advance issues. I cannot believe unless you are running at 10K rpm, that you will realize any advantage to crank driven triggers. Because the Alpha relies on electronics to advance the timing, It has a slightly different advance range than the "bean can". What I needed to do was set the high rpm advance with a timing light, and let the idle be where ever it winds up to be. My bike runs great. The Alpha system is fully enclosed and has beautifully machined and finished housing. To bad its hidden under the front cover. I am very satisfied with this system for what its worth.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Gibson wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 am I cannot believe unless you are running at 10K rpm, that you will realize any advantage to crank driven triggers.
Hate to be the one to say this but...

If a crank driven trigger is running at 10k rpm, a cam driven trigger in a similar application will only be running at 5k rpm... although it will be triggering twice per revolution (of the cam). I suspect this is why BMW opted for cam driven ignition when designing with points, because it reduces heel wear. Aside from the camchain wear aspect, there is very little other difference to give an advantage to either system.

Rob
ImageImageImage