Throttle cables for newer carbs

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
yourpalcal

Throttle cables for newer carbs

Post by yourpalcal »

After reading Snowbum's article on Bing Carbs and having issue after issue with the my old Bing 64/32/1 &2 carbs on a 72' R75/5 SWB, I decided to a upgrade to a slightly newer 64/32/257/258 off a R80. I’ve cleaned them up, replaced all the internal parts and added manual chokes. Everything mounted up fine but I’m having an issue with the throttle cables. I have the euro bar cables that are apparently the shortest available at around 39 inches but they still have too much slack.

I noticed Josh Withers did a similar carb change in his 71' project bike but it looks like he has custom cables.
22_06_2013_bmw_r75_07.jpg
22_06_2013_bmw_r75_07.jpg (121.03 KiB) Viewed 713 times
Here is a pic of mine. I found the manual chokes from Motoworks in the UK. Anyone have experience with this and found stock throttle cables that would work? Trying to avoid the custom route.
IMG_1361 (1).JPG
IMG_1361 (1).JPG (100.06 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Calvin
'72 R75/5
jagarra

Re: Throttle cables for newer carbs

Post by jagarra »

I looked around and all I could find was the stock short bars sizes which you already have. Your best bet is to modify your cables using one of these kits http://www.venhillusa.com/products/cabl ... parts.html
Hopefully they will have the correct end to match what is on your cable now. I would leave the throttle end of the cable as stock and do my shortening on the carburetor end as that is a straight shot with less flex than the handlebar end. If I remember correctly we used to use silver solder to attach the end on the cable, but maybe Venhill has a newer process that will work.

they also sell just cable parts, so you could match what you need rather than buying a kit.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

jagarra wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:57 pm I looked around and all I could find was the stock short bars sizes which you already have. Your best bet is to modify your cables using one of these kits http://www.venhillusa.com/products/cabl ... parts.html
Hopefully they will have the correct end to match what is on your cable now. I would leave the throttle end of the cable as stock and do my shortening on the carburetor end as that is a straight shot with less flex than the handlebar end. If I remember correctly we used to use silver solder to attach the end on the cable, but maybe Venhill has a newer process that will work.

they also sell just cable parts, so you could match what you need rather than buying a kit.
Not sure about the US but in the UK, Venhill will manufacture cables to your spec. If you supply them with the dimensions you want. In fact, if you speak to them, they may well know the dimensions you want from their records. They've done just about every combination you can come up with before. As I say, I don't know if the US company is as good but the parent company in the UK is very helpful.

Rob
ImageImageImage
yourpalcal

Post by yourpalcal »

Thanks for the feedback. I did a rough measurement last night and they are not off by much. Only about an inch to an inch and a half. I may see if I can adjust their path to take up a little slack. Otherwise, Motion Pro offers custom cables. Not sure the pricing though.
Calvin
'72 R75/5