Take airhead to Europe?

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
ME 109

Re: Take airhead to Europe?

Post by ME 109 »

So you eventually got an airhead overseas. Well done man.
And what a trip!
Lord of the Bings
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

ME 109 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:41 am So you eventually got an airhead overseas. Well done man.
And what a trip!

Thank you. It was part of the dream with the bike when we pulled her out of the crate so many years ago. A lot has happened since then and waiting for the right time to do it equally challenging. Had just gotten married, moved into a new apartment with only one parking space in San Francisco. To buy this bike - i sold my much loved 75/5, 60/5 and weeping r69S. A couple of years later we had a baby boy who now is in college.

It was like doing my first long distance road tour on her nearly 25 years ago.

I really had to earn this. I worked 6 months of weekends & holidays in addition to my other self employed business to pay for the shipping, flights and ride. My business suffered a little because i was gone. The clients who use me understand. Those who don't... oh well. I can always mine for more.

This past summer truly was so good. How could I not help think going back. The bike is already there. I am planning and hoping on doing it again next summer...maybe I'll ride with the Airheads from Denmark on their annual campout or go east into Ukraine or west to Holland or Scotland or south again for the Alps and beaches of France and Spain.

I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

If you come to Scotland, look me up. Good scenery and great biking roads... If you're interested in 'more demanding' roads, I can point you in the right direction. (Which, in Scotland is probably 180 degrees from the direction you thought it should be ;) ).

Rob
ImageImageImage
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Rob Frankham wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:45 am If you come to Scotland, look me up. Good scenery and great biking roads... If you're interested in 'more demanding' roads, I can point you in the right direction. (Which, in Scotland is probably 180 degrees from the direction you thought it should be ;) ).

Rob
Rob

That sounds like a great adventure. Something to think about over winter and plan for next summer. It may be the most demanding part will be to ride on the left side of the road. Choosing the right months for weather windows and sight seeing will be the real trick. This might be one of those rides I will need friends to ride with. I will start soliciting soon!

Ted
I always brake in corners and think how I am going to get home if I really mess up. When I get home, I wished that I hadn't used my brakes and should have ridden a bit further.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

Ridercam wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:33 pm
Rob Frankham wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:45 am If you come to Scotland, look me up. Good scenery and great biking roads... If you're interested in 'more demanding' roads, I can point you in the right direction. (Which, in Scotland is probably 180 degrees from the direction you thought it should be ;) ).

Rob
Rob

That sounds like a great adventure. Something to think about over winter and plan for next summer. It may be the most demanding part will be to ride on the left side of the road. Choosing the right months for weather windows and sight seeing will be the real trick. This might be one of those rides I will need friends to ride with. I will start soliciting soon!

Ted

Riding/Driving on the right side of the road (the left) ;) isn't a problem. I've driven in a number of countries where they've failed to comply with the majority and drive on the wrong side (the right) :P

Can I suggest that, if you do decide to come to the UK... whether or not you come to Scotland... you consider signing up for the 'BM Bikes' forum. https://www.bmbikes.org.uk/Forum/. You'll get plenty of encouragement and support. Hey, sign up for it anyway. It's another great place for BM chat and information.

As a suggestion, if you were to ride to Amsterdam, you could get a ferry to Newcastle on the English North East coast, tour Britain and return to mainland europe by the Channel Tunnel or one of the South Coast ports. I can certainly suggest far more 'must see' touring locations than you can visit in a lifetime...

Rob
ImageImageImage
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

Rob, I have read your post a dozen times and keep a tab on the links you told me about. It looks like the ticket.

I hope we meet up for a ride some day soon.

Ted
Ridercam

Post by Ridercam »

My r100/CS is still in Germany. Where should I ride first week in September from Heidelberg. Wife does not like my idea of Chernobyl. I am thinking of the Eagles Nest to Prague (could get myself into trouble) and return via Austria and Switzerland.

Will be taking a set of new Ikon shocks and switching out the old hard bags as one is cracked.

Anyone want to join me?
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Love to. Won't happen :(

I think I'd try to add some Austrian Alp passes. Maybe something like Heidelberg to Garmisch, over the Black Forest hills to Innsbruck then Kitzbuhl to Mittersell, the Grossglockner down to Lienz. Do that in two days but stay in Lienz for a couple of nights exploring the alps.

Having been in the area and driven much of it by car, the thought of further exploration into the guts of the Alps on a bike would be exciting.

Whatever, wherever you ride, it's unlikely to be disappointing!

There's also the San Bernardino down near Lake Como and back again via the roads around Lake Maggiorre. Check out the Guzzi factory at Mandello del Lario? Back via the Stelvio ...

The possibilities are endless.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
melville

Post by melville »

I do so want to join you! I can't at this time, but I do have extra Airheads now. Perhaps when they run I'll send one to Yurp to keep yours company.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.