Shifter Woes

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
KellyVB 75R90S

Shifter Woes

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

Hi everyone,
I have a friend with a R90/6 with a side car attached. He has a side car because he has only 1 leg and yet he still rides his Airhead, now that's DEDICATION, ANYWAY
As he was riding in town last week he heard a BANG and then couldn't shift gears at all, she is stuck in 1st. I told him it sounded like the shifter spring has broken. Wondering if that is a job I can do without any of the specialized tools.

Thanks
Kelly in San Antonio
Zombie Master

Re: Shifter Woes

Post by Zombie Master »

That would probably be the shift return spring. It's a part that should be changed on a regular basis. Transmission removal is required. There doesn't seem to be an upgraded part available. There should be. :?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
seriouseng

Post by seriouseng »

I dont claim to be an expert on these boxes but having just rebuilt mine i think you will be very lucky to get the endcover off without some tool to pull the output shaft flange off its taper , you could be one of the lucky ones who find the taper is not super tight to remove .
You can make up something to hold the flange while your taking the 24mm nut off the output shaft ( 5 0r 6mm thick flat bar drilled and bolted to flange with old drive shaft bolts they are M8 x1mm fine pitch )
A 3 leg gear puller might work on the output flange taper if you can make up a plate for it to pull against, i did try that first but no luck .
the actual spring on the pawl is not too bad to do , there are posts that go into far more detail on this subject so i wont try.
Good luck if you decide to have a go :-)
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I haven't heard of the pawl spring making a bang when it breaks.
Out with the transmission and off with the rear cover.
Lord of the Bings
gspd

Post by gspd »

Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

If the pawl spring has broken, the shifter will move up and down freely but nothing will happen. If the shifter is stuck, it will be something else. Either way, it's box out and open so it's worth doing a recce before ordering parts.

Rob
ImageImageImage
KellyVB 75R90S

Post by KellyVB 75R90S »

Fortunately the tranny is fine. Turned out to be the special bolt on the side car that broke when he wade a left U-turn, hence the bang. That caused the suicided shifter linkage to be misaligned and he couldn't shift. Thanks for all the replies.

-Kelly
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

No worries... pleasure ;)
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.