Electrical System Upgrades?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Bill Smith

Electrical System Upgrades?

Post by Bill Smith »

Equipment info request. My '84 R100RS has 303K miles, and I'm planning several bucket list vacations and road trips on it.

I'm in the US, and the marginal electricals remain my concern. I'm wondering if the parts to improve the bike even exist, but I'd like to reduce electrical load, thus:

I recall seeing turn signal flashers that allow LED bulbs without fitting in-line resistors where there's no room.

Additionally, I had a Yamaha 750 Triple back in the day that had a flasher that could be set to turn off after a preset number of flashes. I know I'll have to re-center the switch, but, any idea on a source? I've fitted an annoyingly loud piezo buzzer, but really prefer self-canceling.

And now, for the big one. I'm sure you're familiar with the barrel of snakes that is the multicolored junction panel living in the headlight bucket; is there an LED H4 bulb that will fit and play well inside the headlight shell?

I know, I ask too much of life, and my old Beemer...
melville

Re: Electrical System Upgrades?

Post by melville »

Nice questions! Zombie Master has found an LED headlight bulb he likes, and there's a recent thread about it.

LED flashers seem like a good idea, but if you're just trying to reduce draw, keep in mind that they're off most of the time.

I think the most gains are to be made on the supply side, with a high output alternator.

There's a few of us here with Yamaha Triples in our past or present. I have an 850 Special project right now. Did you know that the swingarm comes off with the SAME tools as an Airhead? Clearly they were inspired by something. I haven't heard of self cancelling signals for Airheads. My /7 has the OG buzzer and I can barely hear it when I have earplugs in.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Gibson

Post by Gibson »

I recommend checking brushes on alternator and diode board mount and connections. These are what go bad...
jackonz

Post by jackonz »

What you need is to get a new voltage regulator, these are available from Motobins and BMW Motorworks in the UK, they are what was fitted to the Police bikes (R80/6 and 7) as I recall. its an electronic item that gives out a higher voltage this will help with AGM and Calcium batteries that need a higher voltage to keep them charged, be aware though that it will NOT increase the available current from the generator so you cannot add thing like heated grips.
As for the self canceling indicators your best bet is to fit an M-Unit Blue, big job and I am planning on doing it with my R80 at some stage, you will need to be able to get your head round ground switching for the electrics, with it you will also be able to do away with the fuse board in the headlight shell.

Here is the link to the unit and there is pleant of stuff on YouTube for instalation, https://motogadget.com/shop/en/m-unit-blue.html

Phil J
Phil J

Nelson NZ.