Tires - Availability That Is

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Python

Re: Tires - Availability That Is

Post by Python »

Jeff in W.C. wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:36 pm however, I was forced to change tires anyway since Michelin no longer makes the Pilot Activ's.
I've just replaced mine with a set of Michelin Road Classic's. The shop told me they were the replacement for the Pilot Activ's (in Oz).
Russell
1979 R100RT
1996 R100RT
gspd

Happy days are here again (not!)

Post by gspd »

I was just informed that my Metzeler Tourances are available again!
They'll be on for next riding season. Can't wait.

My heavy (but still almost new looking) Michelin Anakees are coming off this winter, after 12,000km of testing.
Maybe I'll put them back on and finish wearing them out for my next looong trip, if that ever happens.
Since covid, I've been limiting myself to day trips, no overnighters.
Still managed to roll on 15,000km this past summer, all within a 300 km radius from home.
Hope to do more riding next summer in spite of this new omicron variant.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
gspd

update

Post by gspd »

Front 90-90/21 Metzeler Tourance vs. 90-90/21 Michelin Anakee.

Soooo...I installed my new Metzeler Tourance front tire today...
I know you guys don't run this size or type of tire on your non GS airheads, but my findings demonstrate what a notable difference can exist between different makes of 'identical' sized tires.
The Michelin has 12,000km, the Metzeler is brand new so it's not a 100% scientifically accurate comparison.

My findings:
The Metzeler is about 1/2 inch wider its widest point. Both circumferences were identical in spite of the 12,000km wear on the Michelin. This implies that the Michelin (when new) is slightly taller and narrower in spite of its same 90-90 listed aspect ratio. On a bathroom scale of questionable accuracy, the Michelin is approximately 3 pounds heavier (all of it on the outer circumference of a 21 inch rim). This weight difference was totally effing up my handling which is what I initially thought.

In all fairness, the Michelin has a noticeably thicker way heavy duty-er carcass, which is no doubt more puncture resistant to sharp objects, which may be a selling point to some riders. On the other hand, I don't recall ever having a front tire puncture or failure in all my decades of riding. I've had more than a dozen rear flats, always caused by nails.
Have any of you ever had a front flat? . The front deflations I've seen were usually from collision damaged front rims, not punctures.

I'll post any additional findings when I install my rear 130-80/17 but my most pressing issue was definitely with the front end.
Mechanic from Hell
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

I've definitely had punctures in the front wheel. Haven't kept records but I would say roughly in equal numbers to the rear.

Rob
ImageImageImage
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I've only blown the front via hitting something. The hole in the sump from the same object meant there was no need to repair the tube. :shock:
One rear flat on the RS 1995..in the rain :( , 2 rears on the MG Le mans in 1988!

I hope that's it.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: update

Post by Rob Frankham »

gspd wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:28 pm
The Metzeler is about 1/2 inch wider its widest point. Both circumferences were identical in spite of the 12,000km wear on the Michelin. This implies that the Michelin (when new) is slightly taller and narrower in spite of its same 90-90 listed aspect ratio.
There are three 'widths' for any tyre. The tread width, the sectional width and the overall width. The tyre ratio is the ratio between the sectional width and the sectional height. It doesn't necessarily relate to the overall width. This also means that a tyre with a greater sectional height can also have a greater sectional width for the same aspect ratio.

Rob
ImageImageImage
gspd

$400 learning experience

Post by gspd »

Rob Frankham wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:48 am There are three 'widths' for any tyre. The tread width, the sectional width and the overall width. The tyre ratio is the ratio between the sectional width and the sectional height. It doesn't necessarily relate to the overall width. This also means that a tyre with a greater sectional height can also have a greater sectional width for the same aspect ratio.
Rob
Agreed.
My point is that actual dimensions vary a lot between tire brands even if the 'sidewall indicated' size is the same.
Unfortunately, you can't measure tires unless they are mounted and inflated so it's impossible for the average shopper to compare before actually buying them.

Up until this recent epiphany I was very wrongly under the assumption that the overall dimensions of similar type tires were the same, regardless of the brand, as long as you had the same indicated size on the sidewall.
I was always under the impression that tread pattern and tread compound were the determining factors that made brand 'A' handle better or last longer than brand 'B'. I realize now that actual size and weight are a huge factor.

In my specific example, the Michelin was waaay heavier, a lot narrower, and a bit taller.
It virtually turned my flyweight flat-tracker into a ponderous chopper, handling wise, in spite of identical sidewall sizes.
It's literally a life or death difference.

I'm now quite confident most of this discussion can apply to all brands, types, and sizes of motorcycle tires, not just my 90-90/21 examples.
Mechanic from Hell
barryh

Post by barryh »

This must be 10 years old now but I had a go at comparing rear tyre sizes for width and diameter. The overall width also varies depending on the rim size on which it is mounted and when the manufacturer provides an overall width they usually specify it for a given rim size. I believe that in some cases a reason for unexpected dimensions is the inch size tyres and mm size tyres can be one and the same thing except for different printing on the side wall.

Tire Sizes.JPG
Tire Sizes.JPG (45.09 KiB) Viewed 705 times
barry
Cheshire
England
gspd

Post by gspd »

Thanks Barry.
There are just sooo many variables when it comes to choosing the right tire.
Ewan McGregor and Valentino Rossi have way different opinions on what constitutes a 'good' tire.
Don't trust the tire retailer.
Don't trust Youtube reviews.
Don't trust the motorcycle manufacturer.
Don't even trust a buddy who has the same bike as you.
The only person you can trust is yourself.
Trial and error seems to be the only way to end up with the right tire FOR YOU.
If you find a specific tire that makes all your riding a joy, stick with it.
If you have cornering, wet weather, durability, or other issues, try and try again until you hit on the right one.

I've had my bike for 32 years. If it handled the way it did with these recent Michelins, I would have got rid of it 31 years ago. Seriously. The ONLY reason I tried the Michelins in the first place was the Metzeler's temporary non-availability.
Lesson learned.

This is in no way a bashing of Michelin tires. I'm sure some of their tires are perfect for certain bike/rider combos.
I use (and highly recommend) Michelins on my 4 wheeled vehicles and always thought their tires were amongst the best on the market. Maybe my slightly used Michelins will be a good deal for someone who wants to go to Tierra del Fuego and back without replacing tires. Or someone who doesn't push it in corners. Or someone with a sidecar.
Mechanic from Hell
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

"If you find a specific tire that makes all your riding a joy, stick with it."

Don't forget, as soon as you find something you like, they will stop making it. Running shoes, tires, whatever. I hate it but it's part of life.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker