R80/7 Rear Main Seal Leak

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
jackonz

R80/7 Rear Main Seal Leak

Post by jackonz »

Following the re omission of the R80 and now clocked 500 miles am going to take the bike off the road as the rear main seal has started to leak, during the re omission I replaced the seal and O Ring but it has not cured the issue that the bike came with.

So either the seal I was supplied is not up to the job or I did something wrong, any suggestions before I go ordering parts and getting it wrong again.
Phil J

Nelson NZ.
RPGR90s

Re: R80/7 Rear Main Seal Leak

Post by RPGR90s »

Did you verify that it's motor oil and not transmission fluid?

There's three possible areas of leakage at that location.

rear main
oil pump cover o-ring
transmission input shaft seal
melville

Post by melville »

RPGR90s wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:10 pm Did you verify that it's motor oil and not transmission fluid?

rear main
oil pump cover o-ring
Yes, I've replaced the first two and realized during the job that it was actually the third. Not sure why I didn't give the oil the sniff test when I took it apart. I use a gear oil with a distinctive smell.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
jackonz

Post by jackonz »

melville wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:47 pm
RPGR90s wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:10 pm Did you verify that it's motor oil and not transmission fluid?

rear main
oil pump cover o-ring
Yes, I've replaced the first two and realized during the job that it was actually the third. Not sure why I didn't give the oil the sniff test when I took it apart. I use a gear oil with a distinctive smell.
Yes it is engine oil as I too use a gear oil with a distinctive smell and it's not that, I also replaced the the O ring on the oil pump cover and the transmission input shaft seal.
One thing nagged at me and now am now kicking myself I did not purchase the tool that was on offer from BMW Motorworks to fit the rear main seal when I purchased all the parts from them, now I wonder if that's the cause as in its installed too deep or not deep enough, to add to it they have 2 versions of the seal on offer and I chose the more expensive item as it was supposed to be an improvement over the original, the other as I recall was a pattern item.

If I knew what the correct depth the seal should be installed I could make a tool in the machine shop at work but I need a drawing or info on the correct position the seal should be from the face of the engine block.

As we say here Shit happens :lol:
Phil J

Nelson NZ.
gspd

Post by gspd »

The rear main seal has to be installed bone DRY (and the flange perfectly clean) or it will leak like a sieve as soon as the engine is started. The correct depth is flush with the case. No special tool required if it's tapped in squarely.
I've seen one or two oil pump covers with almost invisible hairline cracks around the screw holes cause leaks in that area.
If in doubt, start the bike and check for leaks before re-installing the transmission.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
jackonz

Post by jackonz »

gspd wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:00 am The rear main seal has to be installed bone DRY (and the flange perfectly clean) or it will leak like a sieve as soon as the engine is started. The correct depth is flush with the case. No special tool required if it's tapped in squarely.
I've seen one or two oil pump covers with almost invisible hairline cracks around the screw holes cause leaks in that area.
If in doubt, start the bike and check for leaks before re-installing the transmission.
Hi, thanks for the info it's not a big leak and the seal was installed dry and the case was very clean, after 500 miles I have a small puddle of oil around 25mm, it's hacked me off no end.

I will give it all a good clean and see if it gets worse but I will pull it apart sooner rather than later and also crack test the oil pump cover plate.

Many thanks :)
Phil J

Nelson NZ.
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Phil, here's a simple tool that will pull the RMS to its rightful place:

RMS.jpg
RMS.jpg (83.86 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Were the seal OEM fresh, or old stock, non OEM? If the installation was wrong then you will have to try again. Ive seen this product work wonders on old seals. it a polymer that can recondition seals.

AT-205 ATP Re-Seal Leak Stopper

So if the seals you got were old and hard, who knows?
Any and all disclaimers may apply
jackonz

Post by jackonz »

Airbear wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:57 pm Phil, here's a simple tool that will pull the RMS to its rightful place:

RMS.jpg
Thanks Charlie, how thick did you make it?
Last edited by jackonz on Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil J

Nelson NZ.
jackonz

Post by jackonz »

Zombie Master wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:39 am Were the seal OEM fresh, or old stock, non OEM? If the installation was wrong then you will have to try again. Ive seen this product work wonders on old seals. it a polymer that can recondition seals.

AT-205 ATP Re-Seal Leak Stopper

So if the seals you got were old and hard, who knows?
Hi, seal was brand new from BMW Motorworks in the UK, as for this product am not that keen on using this type of product but thanks anyway.
Phil J

Nelson NZ.