Passenger footpegs on R65

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
melville

Re: Passenger footpegs on R65

Post by melville »

Yeah, same as Kurt.

If the pillion peg mount is toothy like this one, you can probably install the adjustable pegs from the big bikes:

There's some rubbery schmutz on that one, but you should get the idea.

I'm also seeing that you may have some rearset rider pegs. That shifter linkage looks long, and the peg short. Here's how it looks on my son's R80 Mono (Monoshock bikes are based on the R65 frame):

I did a similar thing with the shifter side peg on my /6, which is the bike that had the pillion pegs set high and back and there were no clearance problems. But she was definitely more comfortable with her very long legs on the /7, which had the pegs low and forward and the stock rider peg position.

My new pillion is shorter and I expect we'll have no foot conflict on whichever bike. ;)
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: Passenger footpegs on R65

Post by Rob Frankham »

Melville got there first... that isn't a stock (left) riders footpeg and gear lever setup. The stock footpeg mount is longer on the stock item and the 'kinematic' gearchange link is much shorter. Can't make out where it comes from (and I'[ve checked the parts lists for all of the models I can think of) but it isn't stock for a R65. Re-fitting the stock mount and linkage would go some way to solving the issue on the left side at least...

Rob
ImageImageImage