Purchasing a broken R1150R... Questions?

Discussion about modern BMW twins
nwtacoma

Purchasing a broken R1150R... Questions?

Post by nwtacoma »

Very first post on this forum... I'm new to oilheads. I started on a 650GS, quickly graduated to a KTM 1190. Reluctantly sold it to get into a house. That was 5 years ago. Fast forward, I just found an '02 R1150R for sale. Can't pass up on the price! 101K on the bike. Owner said it popped out of 3rd gear thinking he missed a shift. Grabbed it again and it held for a second and then he heard a loud metal bang sound. He was able to hobble it over to a safe part on the shoulder. He secured the bike by as best he could until he could return for the bike. It was dark by the time he returned and the bike was still there, but someone had tried to steal it by hammering a screw driver into the ignition.

So, I'm hoping there are some helpful folks here to lend some advice & expertise. I can't test the bike out because the steering is locked and unable to unlock it with the key (theft damage). How easy or difficult is it to change the ignition switch out, especially without being able to unlock it.

Second question, which has me more concerned, the clunk and now no clutch bite. I've done so much research online in the last 24hours regarding the possible scenarios. The current owner seems to think he grenaded the clutch. My research is leaning more towards stripped out splines on the input shaft or possible other internal breakage. Any advice or experience with this?

I'm planning to pick this bike up in 2 days and tackle the job of getting it back on the road myself. I'm no mechanic by trade, but I'm very handy and not afraid of much when it comes to tinkering, fixing and repairing. I've done it all from rebuilding VW's to Yanmar Tractors.

Any info that might shed some light would be very helpful. Thanks in advance! - Nick
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: Purchasing a broken R1150R... Questions?

Post by Rob Frankham »

Welcome to the forum...

101k? If by that you mean US$101,000, that would be way over the top if the bike was brand new and gold plated.. I can't believe anyone would even contemplate buying (or selling) at that price, surely it's a typo...

On the bike, my only comment is that it needs to be cheap. BMWs are imminently mendable but you need deep pockets for the parts. Essentially, it's 'spares or repair' sale and shouldn't command much more than a third to a half the price of a working bike.

Rob
ImageImageImage
nwtacoma

Post by nwtacoma »

Rob, that was 101,000 miles on the bike. He’s asking $1,200 and firm. Says he has receipts showing he just had Ohlins shocks rebuilt @ $750.
Mostly looking for advice on if it’s worth the risk and insight into the ignition issue. It’s always the little things that end up costing a fortune. If it’s something in the tranny, a boneyard salvage is less than shop time repairing the ignition
jagarra

Post by jagarra »

Well the parts are available from BMW. It looks like a replacement key cylinder is available for about $37.00, If the owner still has the key you would have to arrange the tumblers to match. If the housing is toast, it is an additional $156.00. The hardest part is getting to the screws holding the housing out as they usually are tamper-prof and have to be drilled and some type of extractor to get them out. I would remove the whole top clamp so I could work on it on a bench to see what you are doing. Beemer boneyard also has clutch discs for 1050s with an extended snout, it helps eliminate wear on the input shaft.
1974 R90/6 built 9/73
1987 BMW K75S
1994 BMW R1100RS
1964 T100SR Triumph
1986 Honda XL600R
spo123

Post by spo123 »

Might be BOTH, the Clutch itself AND the Gearbox InputShaft SPLINES...