rear axle

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Scouter-50

rear axle

Post by Scouter-50 »

I have a 1965 R50/2 conversion. It has all 1983 R80RT front end, wheels, final drive, transmission and engine. To make a long story shorter, I would like to source a longer rear axle. I need the 17mm portion to be 8-13mm longer than the 190mm it is now. Ideally somewhere around 204mm. Any suggestions? Robert
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: rear axle

Post by Rob Frankham »

Not familiar with the needs of the conversion but here are a few ideas off the top of my head...

1) The rear wheel axle from the R80RT appears to be the longest axle produced for the 247 airhead series. Would it be possible to machine back the 'step' in the diameter on the original by the needed 8mm?

2) Don't know the diameter of the R50/2 axle... but... the earliest /6 247 engined bikes had a 14mm rear axle and used collars to fit the standard 17mm bearings and mountings... Not sure how easy it would be to locate the 'conversion set' that was sold by BMW (part number 36 31 1 240 987) but if you could get the bits, it might enable you to use the original axle (provided of course it's 14mm).

3) Going on from 2 above... how difficult would it be to make up collars for the original axle?

4) Might be worth looking at the parts lists for Eastern European and Chinese based BMW derived bikes...

5) At the end of the day, it wouldn't be too difficult to get an axle machined to your requirements...

Rob
ImageImageImage