Issues trying to find the correct exhaust/header system for my bike

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Enforced_Leo44

Issues trying to find the correct exhaust/header system for my bike

Post by Enforced_Leo44 »

Hi everyone, first time posting on this forum

I recently bought a 1983 R100RS (that has been scramblerized) and I need to find a new exhaust because the original ones are gone for good, rotten and dented (and also the previous owner cut them short to fit some straight "cafe style" mufflers)

But I can't seem to find a definitive answer to what kind of exhuast I should get, the only thing I know for sure is that the OD is 38mm

If I search on the official BMW spare parts shop, searching for model and year of the bike, 3 different exhaust system pop up, one is 40mm OD with 1 crossover pipe, one is 38mm OD with 1 crossover pipe and the last one is 38mm OD with 2 crossover pipes

So, surely it's not the 40mm OD one, but how should I choose between the single and dual crossover types? are they interchangeable (fitting wise that is, I know that performace may differ if I install one over the other but I don't really care about fine performance differences) ?
1983 BMW R100RS
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Re: Issues trying to find the correct exhaust/header system for my bike

Post by Rob Frankham »

A '83 bike will have two crossovers. They are pretty much interchangeable but you can't mix them (obviously). There will be a slight performance difference but not really noticeable.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Airheads are usually quite muffled. But the boxer engine can really sound beautiful with the right exhaust, and it doesn't have to be loud.
I've been thinking of a set like this.
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 10.00.17 AM copy.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 10.00.17 AM copy.png (206.82 KiB) Viewed 619 times
Any and all disclaimers may apply
Enforced_Leo44

Post by Enforced_Leo44 »

Rob Frankham wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:08 pm A '83 bike will have two crossovers. They are pretty much interchangeable but you can't mix them (obviously). There will be a slight performance difference but not really noticeable.

Rob
Found a nice pair of chrome NOS dual crossover headers, now I just have to fabricate the crossover pipes but that should be easy

Now I'll have to find a fitting muffler for the build, something minimal but still retro/vintage
1983 BMW R100RS