Parts list for replacing fork seals?

Discussion about modern BMW twins
bowyorang

Parts list for replacing fork seals?

Post by bowyorang »

Anyone had to do this on one of these bikes. I have a guy at work that use to be a bike mechanic at a local Honda dealership and has been working on the guys bikes at work for years now, but hasn't changed seals on a BMW before. I am going to have him do the fork seals for me on my bike but thought it might be quicker and easier if I was to do the foot work to get all the parts that he will need to replace. Maybe a bit cheaper as well.
Can someone give me a list of the seals, bushings, ect that will need to be replaced on the forks to do it right? Also, a recommendation of somewhere to order them would be great as well. The BMW shop here in AR closed so I will now have to order all parts that I will need.
Thanks!!!!
Major Softie

Re: Parts list for replacing fork seals?

Post by Major Softie »

Uhm, What is it you want to replace? Your forks do not have the springs and damping built into the forks. You have a front shock absorber with a coil-over spring doing that work. The forks only serve to hold the wheel in alignment while the shock does the work.

So, why is it you think you need fork seals?
MS - out
bowyorang

Post by bowyorang »

Major Softie wrote:Uhm, What is it you want to replace? Your forks do not have the springs and damping built into the forks. You have a front shock absorber with a coil-over spring doing that work. The forks only serve to hold the wheel in alignment while the shock does the work.

Ummm... you might want to tell my bike that then. :D
I do have the shock in the middle behind the forks, but also have shocks built into the forks as well. Where they move in and out there is a seal there on each side. They look dry rotted and are leaking oil out of them. I think I am calling them the right thing....fork seals???
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

bowyorang wrote:
Major Softie wrote:Uhm, What is it you want to replace? Your forks do not have the springs and damping built into the forks. You have a front shock absorber with a coil-over spring doing that work. The forks only serve to hold the wheel in alignment while the shock does the work.

Ummm... you might want to tell my bike that then. :D
I do have the shock in the middle behind the forks, but also have shocks built into the forks as well. Where they move in and out there is a seal there on each side. They look dry rotted and are leaking oil out of them. I think I am calling them the right thing....fork seals???
Uhm, no, you don't have shock absorbers in the forks, but there is some oil in there for lubrication. I've never seen those leak before, but if yours is, then you do need to replace the seals.

You don't see dry rot on the oil seals, as they are further inside. You are looking at the "dust cover." According to my service manual, the dust covers screw off, and you will see a spring clip holding in the seal. It appears from my manual that there is nothing holding those lowers on except the attachment to the shock absorber yoke - no internal bolt between the lower and upper tube.

Make sure to check the tubes very carefully for stone damage. That can leave a little burr that will just destroy the next seal. I like to rub the tube with a cotton ball which will catch on any snags on the tube, even if too small to notice with your hand. If you find something, clean it up with 600 wet/dry paper.
MS - out
richard t

Post by richard t »

what model bike we talking about?
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

r1100r
MS - out
macdaddy

Post by macdaddy »

Get 2 seals, 2dust covers, 2 "retaining" rings. don't turn the fork upside down...It cannot leak enough to need oil ,the small allen at the top of the leg is an air bleed screw , use it. You will need to make a driver for the seal, no big deal as it SHOULD go in easy, if not try a little heat on the lower. I have done many of these, just leave the lower right in place on the bike and remove the top of the leg to remove the old seal,put new seal on the tube then slide it into the lower,your cool new driver made from a rubber hose or pvc will be used now. no hammers required !. 30 min a side !