Gas prices in the good ol' USA??

Need to discuss the roads, highways, streets & the laws/unwritten rules that accompany use of the public system? Wanna chat safety? Got a beef about speeding or traffic enforcement? Want to rant about lane hogs, road ragers, drunks, cell users or overall bad drivers? Take your frank discussions about riding motorcycles & driving cars on public roads here.
moosehead

Gas prices in the good ol' USA??

Post by moosehead »

Don't know what forum to ask this in but...my wife and I are thinking of taking a road trip down to Virginia and North Carolina this April to visit a few outlaw relatives...we hate April up here...cold, wet, rainy etc...so how's gas prices down there in those areas??

Reason I ask is my wife wants to take the old RV 'cause she wants to bring our two dogs with us....she can't bear the thought of leaving them at the kennel. Trouble is, our old RV gets about 12-15 mpg ...its a pig to say the least (7.3l 460 cu. in snortin' Ford V8!) . Our gas up here in Canukistan is going to $1.20 per l which is about $5.00 US per US gal!! Yikes!! So, is your gas cheaper (per gal)?? Just wondering...

I keep telling my wife we should be taking the car (TDI VW Wagon...gets about 900+ kms (500 miles) to a tank but the damn dogs (labs) hate riding in it...they only like the RV...shizen! I got a head ache thinking about it. Trip would be about 2000 miles round trip for us
Retired from work....not life!
melville

Re: Gas prices in the good ol' USA??

Post by melville »

moosehead wrote:Don't know what forum to ask this in but...my wife and I are thinking of taking a road trip down to Virginia and North Carolina this April to visit a few outlaw relatives...we hate April up here...cold, wet, rainy etc...so how's gas prices down there in those areas??

Reason I ask is my wife wants to take the old RV 'cause she wants to bring our two dogs with us....she can't bear the thought of leaving them at the kennel. Trouble is, our old RV gets about 12-15 mpg ...its a pig to say the least (7.3l 460 cu. in snortin' Ford V8!) . Our gas up here in Canukistan is going to $1.20 per l which is about $5.00 US per US gal!! Yikes!! So, is your gas cheaper (per gal)?? Just wondering...

I keep telling my wife we should be taking the car (TDI VW Wagon...gets about 900+ kms (500 miles) to a tank but the damn dogs (labs) hate riding in it...they only like the RV...shizen! I got a head ache thinking about it. Trip would be about 2000 miles round trip for us
We're cheaper than you as a general thing, 15 to 20% usually. I knew bike racers in BC who would fill up on the US side of the border both leaving Canada and returning when they came down for racing. Locally by me (an expensive place for gas) 87 octane is ~$3.80. Last fill up on the Kombi was >$50!
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Thanks melville,

Yikes...I figured as much. Went on the AAA website and they got a fuel price survey and it ain't sweet. Only good point is our dollar is par with US $ so 3.80 is better than 5.65 (converted to US volume stuff) ...OK....gonna sell the ol RV anyways...doesn't owe us anything and maybe one of the kids wants it as they're the ones using it all the time.

Kombie eh? Been looking for a VW westy but they are hard to find and when you do its $$$$. Saw a real nice 1975 (shades of the old days) with original blue plaid upholstry but the guy wanted a fortune for it. Like to get one of their diesel vans and convert it maybe??
timr75/r100r

Post by timr75/r100r »

Prices have jumped about .20 a gallon in the last week here in VA Tidewater, regular is around $3.19 / gallon, diesel $3.25.

Tim
melville

Post by melville »

I have a Westy also (it's in my avatar pic) and mileage is not much better than your RV, currently getting about 15 mpg. When my Airhead is done, I can set to tuning it properly, but will probably not do better than 18 mpg. Probably more fun to drive than a regular RV, though. And the radiator never boils over.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

It's around $6.25 a US gallon right now , 12 mpg is for the rich alone !
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

In Indiana and Ohio it shot up to $3.50+ for the cheap stuff about a week ago.
Apparently the war has taken a turn for the worse. ;)
Steve in Golden

Post by Steve in Golden »

What's really lame about the whole gas price horror story is, there's no shortage of petroleum. It's all speculation by the thieves on Wall St, and the little guys take it in the shorts. As usual.
It's all downhill from here. Except for the uphill bits.

melville

Post by melville »

Yeah, quick update. Now over $4/gal here in Stonerville.
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Yikes! Prices are all over the map but stll considerably cheaper in the US than in CAN...by at least 20-25%! I think most of this differnece is due to gas taxes here.

Yesterday I filled up our old Wolfsburg (the execellent beater) at C$1.26 per l...that would be equivalent to approx $5.00 per US gal (4l per US Gallon). I agree, bandits on Wall street just find various ways to play with prices so they benefit from these price changes either up or down...pisses me off....is not based on any supply/demand economics.

Anyways, we're going aheaad with the trip...its still cheaper travelling in the US. Besides, we love the trip down through Virginia and into North Carolina and out to the coast areas...just poking along...and nice people everywhere we toured over the years on the bike. Maybe should trailer a bike down with us and get some riding in...hmmm.