New Shoe-

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ontic

Re: New Shoe-

Post by ontic »

We just put a set of Dunlop K70's on my mates SR500 project bike. They sure do look nice! and it feels like quite a soft sticky compound. Aside from things I have heard, I have no idea how they will ride or wear (its now running, but not riding yet). In almost standard bmw size they were pretty affordable.
I am pretty keen to try some Heidenau's on the G/S when it comes time.
Don't know what to try on the R90/6 next. I have a new lasertech on the back, and the front is bald and due for replacement.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Heidenaus ? What model number Hans ? K60s ?
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
ontic

Post by ontic »

Yeah, K60 I am thinking, they look nice.

thread degradation warning :D
For the G/S I've got a whole front end (hopefully) about to be posted to me from Germany. White Power extreme 50mm forks, KTM triples, 21 inch KTM wheel, BIG 320mm rotor and brembo caliper adapter. It has already had the triple's stem modified to fit a beemer's headstock and the forks shortened to maintain the 'correct' beemer height (no need to extend the swingarm). The stem may need a little bit of work though. Anyway, if my seller can manage to fit it all into the DHL size/shape and weight restrictions then there will also be a near-new K60 coming with it. Just gotta get one for the rear to match. 8-)
Surprisingly the whole lot aint costing me much at all- compared to trying to get the same thing here. It is also going to come out a fair bit cheaper than doing the 100GS fork swap I was originally intending- with arguably a much better end result.

Some good reading here about my intended fork swap
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676340
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

What's the freight going to be on that lot from Germany Hans ? I'd be afraid to ask !

I'm going to guess this is your inspiration ? :D BTW ,that the seat I'm about to build to go with my GS100 tank .

The Grateful Dead
ontic

Post by ontic »

yeah that's a nice one. That's a paralever, and a bit fancier than anything I will manage, but there are a few like that for inspiration.
Shipping? If he can fit the front wheel in then by my online calculations it shouldn't be more than 115€. 115 is the max price for max allowable weight and size on this particular DHL method (Paket international). If it doesn't all fit in that then I will likely get everything but the wheel and tyre and shipping has been quoted at 85€. I'm still waiting on final confirmation with all this. 60x60x120cm, 31.5Kg are the maximums. A 21inch wheel with tyre should fit within the diagonal of a 60x60cm square. By some weighing in the shed, it all should remain within the 31.5kg. I hope!
If he can't fit the front wheel/tyre in then I don't have to pay for it (but it aint costing me much in the first place), so it is all just a money game. Getting a nice 21 inch wheel and virtually new K60 tyre here would cost quite a bit, so it is worth me trying to fit it in.

About that single seat, I am thinking of getting the same one. I want to try one out first to see how they feel, but they look quite comfortable, and aesthetically I know they go well with the big tank I am getting. Mmmm, my big tank... I'll keep that one quiet until I actually get it in my hands ;) :twisted:
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

My tank has a few dings in it , i go a quote on paint and panel beating ..... $500 !

I reckon I'll get the worst knocked out then practice my brush work .I'll try that $50 paint job technique Shellbe talked about .
http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html
The Grateful Dead
ontic

Post by ontic »

$500! damn. I've got a couple of tiny dints in my stock G/S tank and a couple of bigger ones in the big tank I have payed for.
I was going to take them into a paintless dent repair place to see what it would cost, but I don't think I will even bother.
I think I will try a little DIY panel beating, and then just do some filling/fairing before repainting.
That $50 paintjob looks good. A lot of bloody hours in all that coating and sanding though.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

The ding in my tank is pretty big , it's folded the metal up a bit above the filler .I'd say a good job could be slow ,probably 4 hours plus painting .

The $50 method looks good , it could all be done in a week ,just 30 mins a night and because a tank is small ,it could live inside ,unlike a car .
The Grateful Dead