ATGATT

This is for the discussion of Motorcycling. The art, the science, the theory of all things related to our favorite sport... riding motorcycles.
Sibbo

Re: ATGATT

Post by Sibbo »

justoneoftheguys wrote:
Sibbo wrote:The EnZed Rainoffs will probably do it ... cheaper direct than via Andy Straps
The ones Aerostich sells has a visor wiper built-in to the left thumb.
Do you know them ? Are they any good or junk that falls apart in a day ?
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Sibbo wrote: Do you know them ? Are they any good or junk that falls apart in a day ?
When I bought my pair, they were just the Rain-Offs from NZ. (I think I bought mine from NZ...)
I think they copied them and added a few more features, like the wiper, the mid-cuff velcro cinch and the reflective piece.

They also stock them in orange, although according to Rain-Offs product description page
"They come in one colour only - dark navy blue-black. However, if you require a high visibility overglove, this can be made to order. Just email us at rain-off@ihug.co.nz to arrange."

But Aerostich (Rider Wearhouse) generally only sells quality stuff. Although their riding suits have been said to reliably leak in the crotch. For $23 and the added features, I would be willing to take the risk. Fall apart in a day? I'm sure they wouldn't. In one season? Probably not. Before the price of fuel makes recreational riding an impossibility? Possibly.
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Thanks Rob .
The Grateful Dead
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Here's a set of overgloves that look very similar to the EnZed ones .
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/Rain/CSSRubberOvers.html $20
The Grateful Dead
ontic

Post by ontic »

all the gear most of the time for me too.
Jeans and regular work boots when running around the city doing stuff are my slackest moments.
Other than that, full face helmet, beemer armoured textile jacket and pants (RP2), good gloves and proper armoured motorbike boots (bmw Savannah).
I actually don't like the look of my beemer 'stormtrooper' jacket and pants much at all, but the armour and protection feels very good. Removable linings work OK in the wet and cold, but excellent in the heat.

With the liners out and vents open I have regularly ridden with all this gear up into the mid 40'sC heat (110-ish F). Yes it is too hot. How I get around this is just pulling into a service station every hour or whenever needed and filling up my textile gear with water. I lay my jacket on the ground and absolutely saturate it. watering can goes into the pockets in my pants... fill er up! When it is really really hot, I dip my leather gloves too and saturate my t-shirt or singlet which I wear under the jacket, and put my head under the tap and straight back into the helmet wet. I also use these frequent 'wetting down' stops to drink water and keep hydrated on the inside.
Even in mid 40's heat, the power of evaporative cooling is incredible. From 30C to mid-40's I've got quite a scale of cooling strategies ranging between just a small splash of water down the arms of my jacket, to literally soaking everything but my boots.
It works remarkably well. I don't wait till I get hot and flustered and dizzy to wet down. I wet down, and then stop and do it again as soon as I am no longer cool and comfortable.

People can wear what they want. And if they want to get around in skull caps, shorts and singlets and flip flops, then there is nothing I or anyone could likely say that would convince them otherwise.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

I currently wear and RJay but am sorely tempted by these .http://www.grandprixlegends.com/motorcy ... black.html ....it has armour.and this would be even better !
http://www.grandprixlegends.com/motorcy ... ather.html
I used to wear one for years , the old type before armour was the norm .My RJay has armour and I know it's good but I miss my Belstaff . Stupid eh !
Last edited by Sibbo on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Grateful Dead
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

ontic wrote: With the liners out and vents open I have regularly ridden with all this gear up into the mid 40'sC heat (110-ish F). Yes it is too hot. How I get around this is just pulling into a service station every hour or whenever needed and filling up my textile gear with water. I lay my jacket on the ground and absolutely saturate it. watering can goes into the pockets in my pants... fill er up! When it is really really hot, I dip my leather gloves too and saturate my t-shirt or singlet which I wear under the jacket, and put my head under the tap and straight back into the helmet wet. I also use these frequent 'wetting down' stops to drink water and keep hydrated on the inside.
Even in mid 40's heat, the power of evaporative cooling is incredible. From 30C to mid-40's I've got quite a scale of cooling strategies ranging between just a small splash of water down the arms of my jacket, to literally soaking everything but my boots.
It works remarkably well. I don't wait till I get hot and flustered and dizzy to wet down. I wet down, and then stop and do it again as soon as I am no longer cool and comfortable.

People can wear what they want. And if they want to get around in skull caps, shorts and singlets and flip flops, then there is nothing I or anyone could likely say that would convince them otherwise.
OK Hans , seeing you're here .Can you explain this to me ? I'm so bloody old fashioned and isolated from other riders in the know that I haven't any experience of textiles and how they work . What do you look for ? A link would be kind .

I didn't ride much this last Summer for just that reason .It was HOT and very humid ,quite frankly seriously uncomfortable with ATGATT .
The Grateful Dead
ontic

Post by ontic »

I believe that 'textile' is simply referring to non-leather, ie it could be one of many kinds of modern synthetic materials.
There are lots of different materials they use, cordura derivatives, with kevlar, with all sorts of stuff. I'm far from an expert in this. The material in question will have a certain level of abrasion resistance- hopefully quoted and spec'd out. This is just the shell (in my RP2 stuff I think it is Cordura 500), then there is the armour, the waterproofing and insulation...

For riding in hot weather, I'd be looking for any decent textile jacket with a removable (or no) waterproof liner. A lot of the BMW gear is good for this, though I am sure there are other good options. I'd personally be looking for more of an open weave fabric such as the cordura, rather than a mesh jacket, and get something with good ventilation zips.
I actually think I ride cooler than someone in mesh gear in extreme heat because I can soak up at least 45 mins worth of evaporative cooling water into all the fabric of my gear. Not much to soak into with mesh gear. And if you are riding on a day when the passing air actually warms you rather than cools you (high 30's into the 40's). Doesn't matter if you are wearing no shirt at all, you are still getting heated from the air and sun. I like my armour of sodden wet cooling gear :mrgreen:
Of course in really extreme humidity then mesh gear would be probably be much more comfortable than my wet gear. I reckon that's more equatorial type climates rather than up where you are.
For me it is about trying to have one set of gear that will do it all. Hot, cold, wet and dry. Of course we get all these things in one day here in Melbourne :roll: , but this is more for the purposes of long camping rides.
For this purpose, the bmw gear does well and I could highly recommend it. If you want winter gear, and separate summer gear, there are probably better options.
The advrider flea market is worth keeping an eye on for riding gear- especially with the exchange rate at the moment. For BMW stuff with the removable liner that could be had cheaply at times, The Rallye Pro 2 suit like mine. The Rallye 1. The Santiago. Even the older Savannah. Good stuff. Excellent armour. You'd look like a gumby like me though :lol:

I'm sure you know it already, but:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdis ... order=desc
it moves very quickly, especially the bargains.
I got my pants with liner from there. I got my jacket without liner on Aus ebay.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Thanks mate , it had never even crossed my mind to wet my jacket ! It's got a liner ,it's great in the winter and any time except real heat .Same with my pants .I'll try that , the RJays would be good as it has quite a bit of material thickness .....so about the only thing I'm going to need is a wet weather jacket or over jacket .

Thanks Hans !
The Grateful Dead
Chuey

Post by Chuey »

ME 109 wrote:
justoneoftheguys wrote:The ones Aerostich sells has a visor wiper built-in to the left thumb.
And a vibrating middle finger. :mrgreen:
No, it glows in the dark! Now, that would be useful! :)

Chuey