The time has come....

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Sibbo

Re: The time has come....

Post by Sibbo »

G'day BF ,
great to see you , I'm a newby too .I spend my time here following Charlie around picking up gems of wisdom .I see from the above you've found exactly what you need . :D

Bloody hell ! That Rockerboxer Boxers at Large gallery is HUGE ! :)
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
gspd

Post by gspd »

Sibbo wrote:G'day BF ,
Bloody hell ! That Rockerboxer Boxers at Large gallery is HUGE ! :)
You'd think that Vanz guy could have come up with a better name for his website.
Mechanic from Hell
"I remember every raging second of it...
My bike was on fire, the road was on fire, and I was on fire.
It was the best ride ever!"
ontic

Post by ontic »

let me add another bout time you rocked up!
this is Hans btw.

Good to see you here Ian, and very glad to hear that the old R90S is about to move up on your project list.

Now, just to confirm, Charlie was probably not exaggerating on the height issue.
Rumour is that Ian later had this unfortunate woman for lunch... :mrgreen:

See you round Ian. I hope you get this bike on the road sooner rather than later.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Roy Gavin

Post by Roy Gavin »

SJBMW has the braces , Attelie ? or S Meyer on Ebay has new Dels for Eu710-, around the same as tires for the E34.

The disks on my 75 /7 work OK , they just need master cylinder ratio sorted - if you are staying with the undertank one I have one off the single disk /7 somewhere which you can have for the postage which should help a lot. Needs a Y fitting of course , a Gemini has the right one bolted to the firewall. And the caliper pivot needs to be free enough that the disks align themselves with a good squeeze.
Adelaide, Oz. 77 R75/7. 86 R80 G/S PD, 93 R100 GS, 70 BSA B44 VS ,BMW F650 Classic
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Sam LP, an occasional poster from ol' blighty has done some work on the frame splitter connector thingee's. It might be worth a pm and a polite question. He's been around recently.
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
hal

Post by hal »

That IS a lovely bike..it now serves as my desktop background
Hal

'74 R90/6
'97 R850R
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

ontic wrote: Rumour is that Ian later had this unfortunate woman for lunch...
Oh dear. More embarrassment for Australia re Vietnam.

ps: Good one Hans.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

hal wrote:That IS a lovely bike..it now serves as my desktop background
I take it you are not referring to the one Bigfella rode in Vietnam, Hal.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

OK - proof of existence... if not life just yet.

We have a frame... I've taken it over to my engineer mate's shop... which is actually a brilliant setup, despite this shot of my frame sitting in his rubbish barrow..

We have a tank... this is the later 100S tank that I mentioned...

Instruments... and yep, I dropped them, some years back...

Lots of bits... at least they are on top of the old Shovelhead crap..

Front forks, nicely tucked away... and sitting on top of one of the BMW E34 suspension tools we made up.... that little project (re-doing both the M5 and 535 rear suspension bushes) came about after a track day where I was a bit enthusiatic with the ripple strips at Wakefield Park. About a week after the track day I got a call from my wife.. "the car went BANG and it won't go any more and there's something hanging down underneath it"... yep - tore the diff out. It's the strongest E34 diff mount in existence now... but sheesh, those damn bushes - what a job.

... and last, but not least, the engine... and bits

So... what am I missing?

The carbies and connecting plastic tubes. I keep getting grand ideas, but think the best thing to do is bring in some new Dellortos from the US or UK.

The centrestand, rear engine bolt and associated fittings. That shouldn't be too hard (says he, crossed fingers). I had a vague feeling that I'd sourced this somewhere... but I can't see it. I know I'd picked up a battery box some years back - which had also gone missing when we moved to NZ for a couple of years. I've cursed an unknown individual who worked at Downard Pickfords in 1983 more than once.... what the hell did he do with all these bits?

As mentioned earlier.. shocks and pipes. I still have the 2>1 system, but the baffle is rusted away to nothing and it has holes elsewhere too.

The plan is to buy carbs and fittings, mount the engine, brace the frame and swingarm - using SJBMW braces or similar - removeable using cone mounts.... powdercoat, assemble and see what we have. I'm thinking a home-made exhaust (well, OK, Steve-made - my engineer mate) ... wrapped rather than chromed, naked with different light / instruments. Time will tell.
The Bigfella

Post by The Bigfella »

Well - things are looking up already.

I just took a look at realoem and there isn't a rear engine bolt... just two short ones. Who'd have thought I'd forget that after just over 30 years?