Thumbs up for HPD!

Need to discuss the roads, highways, streets & the laws/unwritten rules that accompany use of the public system? Wanna chat safety? Got a beef about speeding or traffic enforcement? Want to rant about lane hogs, road ragers, drunks, cell users or overall bad drivers? Take your frank discussions about riding motorcycles & driving cars on public roads here.
Deleted User 62

Thumbs up for HPD!

Post by Deleted User 62 »

This past weekend my friend and I took a ride over the Saddle Road, he on his 1800cc Honda and me on the /5. At one point on that road there is a large hill dropping down to a very long straight section through the army reservation. Jim topped 100mph going down the hill and I was trying to keep up. About halfway along the straight part we were clocked doing 80+ in a 55 by an unmarked Hawaii Police Department cruiser going the opposite direction. On came the multiple flashing blue lights in the grill and dash. I was bummed, having gotten a speeding ticket just a few weeks ago, but we pulled over. Nowhere to run to, nowhere to hide in the middle of that huge Army training area. As we sat by the side of the road, I looked in my mirror and noticed he hadn't slowed to turn around and ticket us. As we watched he continued on out of sight around the turn in the far distance. Jim and I were in shock ...could he have had a more urgent call? ...did he give us a break? Then Jim said, "Here he comes." Sure enough, he was coming back. We watched and waited and he came closer and closer down that long straight... and then he passed us, giving us the shaka sign as he did! He wasn't on another call, but had apparently given us a break. We saw him again a minute later, coming back the other way while shadowing another speeder. Whew, what a relief! Needless to say, henceforth, the pace was decidedly more relaxed...
Deleted User 287

Re: Shaka Sign

Post by Deleted User 287 »

I had no idea what you were talking about!

Holding the hand with the pinkie and thumb extended represented the shark head, with the thumb and fingers being the eyes. To say “shaka” (or “shark eye”) to someone and flash the “shark eye” hand is said to have been considered a compliment, as the shark is highly respected in Hawaiian culture.

That's cool, coming from a copper!
Deleted User 62

Re: Thumbs up for HPD!

It was very cool! While that story about the origin and meaning of the shaka sign is not the one I'd heard, it does indicate friendship and respect, kind of the way a secret handshake shows you're "in the club". Image
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

That doesn't happen here in my state anymore .It all goes onto the police car computer directly from the radar .The driver drives and the computer records then tags speeding cars .

No more Mr Nice guy and there aren't any nice computers .
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

Sibbo wrote: No more Mr Nice guy and there aren't any nice computers .
But OMG, there are NICE surfers! :P
Deleted User 62

justoneoftheguys wrote:
Sibbo wrote: No more Mr Nice guy and there aren't any nice computers .
But OMG, there are NICE surfers! :P
Let's not forget the hula girls! Image
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

Tim, thanks for that bit of beauty this morning.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.