bar end weight

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
jimborbm65

bar end weight

Post by jimborbm65 »

I have a 1979 r65 and have always experienced vibrating mirrors and hands at
certain engine revs BUT have got some lead to cut up and put inside the bar ends .
What weight is sufficient in your experience for each bar end ?
Thanks to all and this forum for help in the past , I now have minimum stiction in
the front forks .
JIM
hal

Re: bar end weight

Post by hal »

carb sync?
Hal

'74 R90/6
'97 R850R
barryh

Post by barryh »

I cast some solid lead weights to be a tight fit inside the bar ends they would have been approx. 100mm long. Sorry I can't tell you the exact weight. They made so little difference that I drilled them out again and had more success playing with the torque settings of the engine mounts. I concluded that there must be more science involved than just a dead weight in the bar ends. I should have known better because back in the 80's I had factory fitted bar end weights that made a significant difference on a Suzuki. They were steel bars a little smaller in diameter than the bar aperture and fixed at the outer end only by welding. I wondered if this was so that the weight was free to vibrate inside the bar. Certainly when I removed the welded steel bars and replaced them with lead I never achieved the original level of vibration reduction.
barry
Cheshire
England
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

It matters little what the composition of the weight is. Far more important is the total mass and the damping. Both the weight and damping would have to be found by experimenting, unless someone has done the work and published it.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
esman100

Post by esman100 »

hal wrote:carb sync?
+1 and check at higher rpm's too. But first go ride a Harley and then you'll realize how smooth it is...
Jeff
Washougal, WA
'76 R90/6 "Eva"
'62 R60/2-R75/5 Conversion
Duane Ausherman

As mentioned on my website, a carb sync is done by most at idle. Do it at the road speed where it vibrates the most. This can make vibration decrease in many cases, but then the sync will be off just off of idle. I think it clear which is more important.
vanzen

Post by vanzen »

The objective will be to disrupt a resonant harmonic frequency.
I have achieved successful results by injecting polyurethane foam ...
Sibbo

Post by Sibbo »

Duane Ausherman wrote:It matters little what the composition of the weight is. Far more important is the total mass and the damping. Both the weight and damping would have to be found by experimenting, unless someone has done the work and published it.
http://www.suckindiesel.com/thingy/view ... ?f=2&t=463
"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"
The Grateful Dead
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Duane Ausherman wrote:As mentioned on my website, a carb sync is done by most at idle. Do it at the road speed where it vibrates the most. This can make vibration decrease in many cases, but then the sync will be off just off of idle. I think it clear which is more important.
Yes, it is clear: around town it's the off-idle. Touring it's at cruising speed.

What's "most important" is always dependent on the situation.
MS - out
Duane Ausherman

I use another tiny trick on my own riders. I leave the left carb cable lock nut only finger tight. That way I can go down the road, reach down with my left arm and adjust the throttle easily.

You are probably wondering about the rubber sleeve that keeps water out of the carb top. It isn't designed to be lifted up and down quickly. I cut the bottom ring off of it so that it slips up and down easily. It no longer will tend to seal out any air, thereby allowing some air in at the carb top. It does keep out any rain and that is more important than the possibility of an air leak.