cpap machines

Need to discuss the roads, highways, streets & the laws/unwritten rules that accompany use of the public system? Wanna chat safety? Got a beef about speeding or traffic enforcement? Want to rant about lane hogs, road ragers, drunks, cell users or overall bad drivers? Take your frank discussions about riding motorcycles & driving cars on public roads here.
michael

cpap machines

Post by michael »

Anyone on this site figured out how to use a sleep machine while motorcycle camping?
richard t

Re: cpap machines

Post by richard t »

a few drinks of Jim Beam works for me.
DaveBBR

Post by DaveBBR »

I use a "Respironics" It runs on 12VDC. I have brought a small second battery that I charge on the road and runs the cpap at night.
"You don't stop playing because you get old.
You get old because you stop playing."
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Well it certainly seems like there are a few options to get the ol cpap machines running at rallies.

The only issue I can see is what the hell does a cpap machine do?
Can it pump tyres up?
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machine, pronounced ceepap.

Essentially, it delivers air on demand, but at the end of expiration it keeps the pressure higher than 0, often at 12-15cm H20 pressure, therefore splinting the airways open. The airway is sealed and the pressure is maintained via a tight fitting face mask, preventing expiration pressure from falling to 0. That pressure is called Positive End Expiratory Pressure and is the preset prescribed pressure the machine will maintain.

For use in the community, it's usually prescribed for Obstructive Sleep Apnoea. That's a very common condition characterised by snoring, cessation of breathing (apnoea), restless/useless/no sleep and other consequential medical conditions like depression, cardiac failure....the list goes on.

Can it pump tyres up? Hmmm, they're a basic machine and I'm unsure if they have a continuous flow of air. The air is entrained from atmosphere by the machine, usually on demand. Some can be preset to time a breath, but they're a bit more sophisticated...expensive that is. If whilst it was connected to a tube, if you could trick the machine into thinking it was delivering a breath, then maybe it would. It's just a box of valves shunting air..
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

If my wife reads this Steve, she will buy me a cpap machine.
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

ME 109 wrote:If my wife reads this Steve, she will buy me a cpap machine.
Yeah..common scenario. Loud snoring that keeps the wife awake causes wife to get a referral for sleep studies. Usually though, the snorers body habitus is more like mine but BIGGER compared to skinny fellas like yourself Jeff! Maybe you just need the nostrils rebored? :shock:
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

I did ask the doc about boring the ol snoz out and he thought not.....
Another opinion me thinks.

A cpap machine should be a must a every rally.
Ready to go for anyone to come and grab it and jam on the face of any nearby D12's
Lord of the Bings
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

ME 109 wrote:I did ask the doc about boring the ol snoz out and he thought not.....
Another opinion me thinks.

A cpap machine should be a must a every rally.
Ready to go for anyone to come and grab it and jam on the face of any nearby D12's
A few beers and a decent slug of a Scotch chaser, a chiseled piece of redgum, a strong gloved grip and Robert's yer mothers brother...nasal re-bore!

Just the entertainment for the Alpine Rally. The alpine cold will help constrict the nasal bleeders. Make sure you wear a red shirt though, otherwise it'll look like you've dribbled tomato sauce from the steak dinner you usually cook up!
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

A was just gonna take my battery drill and a 16mm high speed bit.
Scotch. Roger that.

I rang a mate the other day to see if he was still a goer for the rally. He said he had a suspected hernia.
I offered to take along a 5 iron to sort the hernia.
Haven't heard back yet, but I expect to soon.
Lord of the Bings