Heated grips.

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
ontic

Re: Heated grips.

Post by ontic »

No probs Jeff,
I think any of those cheap ebay heated grips pads would do just fine- and from China will be a 1/4 the price of any shop price.
As I understand it the point of failure is most likely to be where the wire connects to the pad- it is just a soldered join onto a flexible plastic pad- made for trouble- and out of the left and the right grip the right throttle is going to take the punishment.
I tried to plan my installation to be careful with the throttle side but I don't think it turned out all that well, I've tried to redeem that with some electrical tape wrapping to support the soldered join... if it lasts one winter I'll be happy and now that it is wired in all it will take is swapping in new pads if the old ones fail.

Something like this looks just fine to me- and cheap! They even give you the shrink tube for the handlebars (I spent $6 on that alone)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcycle-H ... 624wt_1020

If/when my system fails (and I am certain it will fail at the throttle grip connection to the wires)I will just buy another cheap set like the one above and splice it in to my existing switch and wiring.

After the shrinktube I think I spent about $6-7 at Jaycar getting the 3 way double post switch and the waterproof boot for the top of it, and then a bunch of connectors and shrink tube I already had.

I think I have similar troubles heading towards me with my hands- I already have troubles enough and I am only in my mid 30's. I am even considering putting on some very basic windshields for my hands this trip to see how much difference hand comfort can make to my winter riding pleasure. I've rattled on about it in the past, but my even with the top of the line bmw goretex winter gloves, in the cold conditions my hands really are the only things that actually suffer.

Anyway, if you are heading up to the Alpine Rally I'll see you there and I'll show you my quick and rough install,
Cheers,
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Sure thing Hans, look forward to seeing you and the other guys at the rally.
There's getting to be quite a few of us now that are well acquainted.
I can't think of anyone that isn't on a BMW. Funny that.

If I find that carpel release kit in time, we could have a workshop....have to be early enough in the morning so as to be able to hang onto a beer/whiskey in the evening.
Lord of the Bings
Darryl Flynn

Post by Darryl Flynn »

DAYTONA Heated Grips are the only aftermarket ones that i will consider. Great quality at a reasonable price.

Darryl
My other bike is a Guzzi
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Thanks Darryl, I'll chech them out.
Lord of the Bings
ontic

Post by ontic »

For a follow up,
the heated grips were wonderful on the way up to the alpine rally. The back of my hands were still cold, but the insides were toasty warm- not perfect, but kind of like sitting around a fire in a very cold place... like the alpine rally... with a warm front and cold back. Either way it transformed my hands from a source of pain and grumpy-bad-decision-inducing discomfort to a source of warmth and survival... I really felt a deep loving connection to my electrical system on the bike :D
I had them on high setting the whole time. There were times when I was getting cold in general, so I tried an extra set of undergloves- it upped the insulation, and decreased my overall hand coldness, but also decreased the inside warmth. I was happy to switch back to no undergloves and the more extreme hot and cold situation. Ideally I'l like some good winter gloves with a super insulated back of the hand and a thinner leather inside grip where it contacts the hand grips.

Next plan is to combine the heated grips with some hand windshields and I think it will be almost perfect with my current winter gloves as is.

But as if there was some still lingering doubt, the ride home was of the double blind experimental sort- my throttle side grip never heated up after Brindabella, from a break in the wire precisely were I expected it to break. Almost looks as if it was cut through. So, unfortunately, I got to compare, for a very long time, one hot hand and one cold hand. An attempt at repair at Charlie's didn't work.

Never again without heated grips!
As I got two of these sets of grips, one for the G/S, I'll just be using the extra set for spares for the R90, and I am pretty confident I can do a better job of the install and not repeat the problem.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

Try a pair of ski gloves next time with the heated grips. Insulation is all on the top side of the hand and the palms are thin leather. Most modern ski gloves are made of windproof outer material on the topside (gortex is popular) so blocks the wind on the outside of your hand and is also where hi tech insulation is. Heat passes nicely through the thin palm material , heats up your hand and the your fingers and hands remain nice and comfy warm.

The gortex ( or equivalant)outer material is "breathable" allowing moisture to escape therefore keeping you hands dry from sweating. Moisture and cold are the killer for really cold hands.

Thin inner palm area still provides nice "feel" to the controls...

Try them....you won't ride in cold weather again without them... 8-)
Retired from work....not life!
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

In the UK, the most common grips are made by a firm called Oxford. The ones I have fitted to my (say it softly) Triumph are electronically controlled and have three heat settings. They were simple to fit and work well. At the other end of the scale, there are removable fabric over grips held on by velcro. These also work and, although a bit ungainly perhaps, provide a solution that is very simple to fit and can be removed in summer. Don't know if Oxford products are available in Oz but I'm sure they could be supplied by the usual UK seller.

Rob
ImageImageImage
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Rob Frankham wrote:In the UK, the most common grips are made by a firm called Oxford. The ones I have fitted to my (say it softly) Triumph are electronically controlled and have three heat settings. They were simple to fit and work well. At the other end of the scale, there are removable fabric over grips held on by velcro. These also work and, although a bit ungainly perhaps, provide a solution that is very simple to fit and can be removed in summer. Don't know if Oxford products are available in Oz but I'm sure they could be supplied by the usual UK seller.

Rob
I have an Oxford tank bag that is wonderful quality. I've never seen Oxford products in the U.S. though (bought mine on a trip to Canada).
MS - out
dougie

Post by dougie »

Rob Frankham wrote:In the UK, the most common grips are made by a firm called Oxford. The ones I have fitted to my (say it softly) Triumph are electronically controlled and have three heat settings. They were simple to fit and work well. At the other end of the scale, there are removable fabric over grips held on by velcro. These also work and, although a bit ungainly perhaps, provide a solution that is very simple to fit and can be removed in summer. Don't know if Oxford products are available in Oz but I'm sure they could be supplied by the usual UK seller.
Rob
Extra electrical equipment on a Triumph?
I'm impressed.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

dougie wrote:Extra electrical equipment on a Triumph?
I'm impressed.
Me too. I would have to run with my headlight off. Maybe he has a modern Triumph.
Ed Miller
'81 R65
'70 Bonneville
Falls City, OR

"Gasoline makes people stupid." -- Chuey
"I'll believe corporations are people when the State of Texas executes one." Bumper sticker