How long has she got Doc?

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
dougie

Re: How long has she got Doc?

Post by dougie »

E-Bay Jeff.
I got my spare for about $250. Shipping to Oz might be a bitch tho".
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
dougie

Post by dougie »

ME 109 wrote:Will a mono 85> tranny fit an 81?
My '87 RS has the same gearbox part number as a non-kickstart RS after 09/80.
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

More general opinion re: the circlip.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814313
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
Deleted User 287

Post by Deleted User 287 »

ME 109 wrote:
Airbear wrote:Just read Jörgs page on the gearbox rebuild. Excellent tech writing - he makes it sound if not easy, at least doable, with care. Interesting prospect.
Prolly my only prospect Charlie, at the moment anyways. Where's Jo..rgs page? How do you get those eyes to stay up on top of the o? They keep falling off for me. o.. see :x
ontic gave you the link to Jörgs page: http://jhau.maliwi.de/mot/gearbox.html

O's with eyes can be found on the Character Map, if you have a proper PC. I've no clue where they'd be on a MAC.

Here is how to get there:

click on image for larger
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

SteveD wrote:More general opinion re: the circlip.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814313
Most on that string agree with what the "expert" said at a workshop at the BMW 80th anniversary rally: If you're rebuilding a tranny without a circlip, add one. If you're riding a bike without a circlip, ride it.
MS - out
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Thanks guys, heaps of info to dissect now.

Thanks Rob, you're a genius.
Lord of the Bings
Rob Frankham
Location: Scotland UK, 20 miles from civilisation up a dead end road!

Post by Rob Frankham »

ME 109 wrote:Will a mono 85> tranny fit an 81?
Yes. The only ones that have any differences are those from a paralever and then it's only a matter of reversing the output oil seal and blocking the vent between the transmission and the shaft housing.

Rob
ImageImageImage
ontic

Post by ontic »

Hi Jeff,
no probs, I'll probably hold on to these bearings for a few months more until after I move house, then think about selling them on. Hopefully you've caught it in time before too much damage was done and bearings is all they need!

If you read Jörgs page there are links down the bottom that take you to other good reads such as Antons and others.

And for Mac users, the little eyes on top of letters are gotten by pressing option and the letter U, then the eyes appear and then you press the letter you the eyes to sit above, such as ü ä ë ö ï
helpful for searching for Öhlins, Wüdo and other expensive treats. ;)

The circlip thing is interesting reading. Thankfully not something I have to concern myself with. If it was I would follow the principle Major Softie quoted.
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

Hmm, now I'd really like to get my '74 gearbox back into service. So Jeff, if you are 'going in' would you mind if I looked over your shoulder? I know the input shaft in mine is completely stuffed ($$$) but I'd like to see if there are any other buggered expensive components. If mine is repairable I'd be interested in your bearing set, Hans (if Jeff doesn't grab it first). I understand that the Motobins bearing set has the expensive roller bearing that some people say is rarely necessary to replace, but I think I'd like to replace mine.

By the way, there is a set of 3 new shifting forks (for third and fourth gears) for our models on Oz eBay -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-R-Series ... 2320d732ba

ps; I just did a copy and paste from Jörg's site to get the eyes on top of that o. The normal anglicising approach is to put an e after the o.
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
ontic

Post by ontic »

no probs Charlie,
If Jeff doesn't want the bearing set they are yours. And yes, I agree with you, that 6th bearing that 'doesn't normally need replacing'- I'd do it anyway too, that is why I got that set.
Regarding having a go at your 74 kickstart box- you might as well open it up!
Don't forget that I've got the spare 74 box in my shed and we might be able to work something out.
Mine might actually be pretty good as the PO thought it was making noises, swapped on a freshly rebuilt later box, and the noise was still there, which was actually coming from the drive shaft. It shifts through the gears smoothly and still kicks over smoothly as well.
Given I will probably cull down to one bike over the next year (keeping the G/S) I should probably start planning for how to get rid of some of my parts... (I know, the little hoarder inside me is screaming bloody murder) but it makes sense to me that the 74 kickstart gearboxes (with some of their supposed unique and NLA internals) should probably be teamed up for the greater good. :D
Just an option,
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S