curious 1974 bmw r90/6

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
jgleadle

curious 1974 bmw r90/6

Post by jgleadle »

I just got my new r90/6 home and it has some curious things i really cant explain. it only has 17,000 miles on it, original in just about every way, conti tires etc.. only thing is it has black housing turn signals and what looks like a original drilled rotor. i thought that 74's had the aluminium housings on the turn signals and a solid rotor. could i have a very late 74 with these parts. and if so could the engine be the 75 version, how would i tell?
richard t

Re: curious 1974 bmw r90/6

Post by richard t »

what is the build date? LaDonna's bike was built in Jan 1974 and has the /5 controls and a solid disk. mine was made 9/75 and has the drilled rotor and new style controls. the controls, solid rotor and 14mm front axle were 1974 model only items.
ontic

Post by ontic »

I deleted my post from the other thread, and will repost it here,

Not sure about the crossover date with the turn signals. The engine stuff I am aware of happened around April 1975 I think.
You can enter your VIN number here and see what year and month it was made, (there are a few different sites like this, but this one seems to work OK)
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
jgleadle

Post by jgleadle »

awesome i will do it first thing tomorrow.
jgleadle

Post by jgleadle »

its a april 1974 with drilled disk, black turn signals, /5 controls. i have yet to find the vin on the engine

on parts places it says that forks are different after 09-1974 os if i have a 04-1974 do i have /5 forks
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

The VIN is also stamped on the case above the oil dip stick. '74 has the small /5 type switches, but was the first year of single disc forks. If you had a R60/6 it would have drum brakes.
Duane Ausherman

Post by Duane Ausherman »

By this time the disc would haVe been changed out and it would have likely have been a drilled one. Parts do get replaced. Besides, nobody would elect to use the plain disc unless it was a restoration.
Ask the Indians what happens when you don't control immigration.
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

Duane Ausherman wrote:By this time the disc would haVe been changed out and it would have likely have been a drilled one. Parts do get replaced. Besides, nobody would elect to use the plain disc unless it was a restoration.
With 17k, there's no reason to change it for wear, but, yes, it's quite likely someone could have "upgraded" to the later drilled disc.
MS - out
Airbear
Location: Oz, lower right hand side, in a bit, just over the lumpy part.

Post by Airbear »

May also have been repaired following a collision.

Also, I think Duane has mentioned on his site that parts ran out at different times and that some bikes left the factory with newer version parts. You've got a bit of detective work to do, jgleadle. It will be useful to start a log book and write up whatever you know about the bike's provenance (you might be the Previous Owner one day). 17k is wonderfully young and the bike has its lifetime ahead of it. Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

ps: Have you checked out the MAX BMW parts fiche website? Have a look here and check out the fork sliders from that era. Should help with your fork query: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=08102012
Charlie
and Brunhilde - 1974 R90/6

Graduate, Wallace and Gromit School of Engineering and Design (Pending)
jgleadle

Post by jgleadle »

no i have not checked out the fiche yet, did not know it existed. thank you for the link.

I Will start a log book too, great idea.

I am the third owner, the first bought brand new in Vancouver,BC. kept it up until 2009. it must have been kept as a show piece as everything is in almost as-new condition. 2nd owner bought it, had everything serviced then did not drive it as he had children a few months later. its been in the province since new, no accidents, clean title. it came with toolkit,owners manual,tire pump all in basically new condition. i originally wanted to put club-mans on it, bar end /2 signals and a /2 rear fender. but now that i have it home, I wont change anything. its much more desirable to me in factory trim. just new tires,tubes, rebuild the forks and replace the rear shocks (IKON) and then maintenance items as needed. i think i will even keep the points. I am thinking for christmas i will ask my wife make me a copy of original seat cover out of fine leather.