jims tank lining

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
jimborbm65

jims tank lining

Post by jimborbm65 »

Hi and thanks for the great replies to my petrol tank lining question of a few weeks ago .
I have started by putting a length of chain inside my 1979 r65 tank and shaking it about .
Half a cup full of rusty sugar sized dust came out BUT a magnet had no influence on it
so I guess it is the rust colored paint lining comming out .
I will persevere with this method till no further paint comes out .
I have purchased a product called KREEM FUEL TANK LINER here in the UK to do the sealing .
Have anyone used this and can give advice ?
Regards to all .....JIM
ME 109

Re: jims tank lining

Post by ME 109 »

Gidday Jim, I'm thinking about the places where the chain won't get too.....

If all the gunk isn't removed, it sorta makes the job a fair bit less than perfect.
Wouldn't a s/hand tank make more sense? (and dollars :P )
Lord of the Bings
Jean

Post by Jean »

A good 2nd hand tank might be hard to find, harder than relining the current tank.
Someone posted about using this stuff or a similar product some years ago and I have done an auto gas tank too. but that was MANY years ago!
If you do this, you need to figure some way to keep the stuff off the threads for the taps, and also out of the filler cap/overflow tube, etc.
Instead of a piece of chain, put some small nuts and bolts in the tank to get into those tight places.
Count them going IN and count them coming OUT.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
Kurt in S.A.

Post by Kurt in S.A. »

I've not heard good things about Kreem...mostly people mention the POR-15 products. The only product I used on a touch up job for my R25/2 tank was Caswell tank sealer. Worked great as far as I can tell.

Kurt in S.A.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

I'd use something more aggressive and pointier to get into all the little nooks and crannies, like sheet rock screws. Kreem doesn't get very good reviews on the VW forum I'm on. Tends to peel off in sheets if the cleaning/rinsing process isn't done properly. I think someone here mentioned vinegar as a suitable solvent for the red lining...? So, vinegar AND pointy screws, nut bolts, chain, etc and have a go.
Jean

Post by Jean »

I believe POR-15 was the similar product mentioned.
I cannot recall what the stuff I used on the 220s tank back in '77 was tho. It worked good.
HOWEVER, it WAS expensive.
Clemson, SC
R100s, R75/5
She'llbe

Post by She'llbe »

I used kreem, it flaked off and filled up my filter screens. Had a fella do the epoxy a few year ago and all is good. There are some things I don't like/want to do myself.
From the desk of the
Mt. Nardi Yacht Club
PO BOX 95
Nimbin, NSW
Australia 2480
02-6689-1234
chasbmw

Post by chasbmw »

Just ensure that whatever you use has a cast iron Gtee that it will handle at least 10% ethanol in fuel.
Charles
Replica 1070 R90/S (based on 82 RT)
1975 R90/6
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

I've known people who have success with Kreem, but it gets a lot of negative reviews too. It appears to be much more sensitive to prep and cure-time than the competing products. So, if you're going to use it, follow their instructions carefully, take no shortcuts, and I'd really extend the cure time for good measure.
MS - out
Bob Bennett

Post by Bob Bennett »

Here in OZ I used this tank reline setup available on line.

From left to right it is, soapy wash done twice, then a caustic etch primer also done twice. the tank was to be dried
thoroughly between each procedure. the can on the right is the one pack epoxy type paint.

First wash
Second wash
Drying
I used tapered dowel to block the fuel outlets and the gaffer tape you see on left in 1st pic over filler hole.
I'm sure that I did'nt get all the old liner out but the new liner sealed it over
This is during the wash sequence
The finished liner
Regards, Bob
R80 RS