jims tank lining

Discuss all things 1970 & later Airheads right here.
Bob Distelcamp

Re: jims tank lining

Post by Bob Distelcamp »

Down in the deep south where I once lived the method used was Feed grade molasses as a DE-ruster.
It takes about a week to do. seal the tank tap openings and the filler opening. fill 1/2 a tank full with
molasses.every few hours turn the tank over. after about a week the inside of the tank will be bright.
like a dull mild steel. pore it out in a old gas can and wash out the tank in HOT water.and air dry useing wifes
old hair dryer. There was a product made by 3m for air craft fuel tank sealing about $12.00 per Qt.
with good prep I never had a problem.

Bob D
shakyone

Post by shakyone »

I had my /7 tank boiled out by a shop that did radiator work. I was planning to paint it so I wanted the outside stripped also. They did a great job of removing the liner and the outside paint, but the acid ate the fine threads on the gas valve connector. I had to tap the tank outlets on the inside of the outlet and use Harley valves after I had the tank epoxy lined and painted. BE CAREFUL if you use one if these stripping services.

Paul
shakyone

Post by shakyone »

I had my /7 tank boiled out by a shop that did radiator work. I was planning to paint it so I wanted the outside stripped also. They did a great job of removing the liner and the outside paint, but the acid ate the fine threads on the gas valve connector. I had to tap the tank outlets on the inside of the outlet and use Harley valves after I had the tank epoxy lined and painted. BE CAREFUL if you use one if these stripping services.

Paul
Major Softie

Post by Major Softie »

So important he had to say it twice.
MS - out
dwerbil

Post by dwerbil »

I'm one of the few that had great luck, on the /7, with Kreem. The tank wasn't terribly bad to begin with...it had a bit of rust and pinholes at the bottom. After following the directions up to the acid treatment, I made a change with the the prep. If I remember correctly, the acid etch treatment was a weak solution of hydrofloric acid one was to keep in the tank for a while to dissolve any rust left over and to etch the metal in prep for the coating.

I found at the grocery store some cheep toilet cleaner that was 5% hydrofloric acid. Two big bottles cost about 6 bucks. I emptied both bottles into the tank with filling the rest with water. I let it set for a couple of days, then rinsed the crud out of it. Then proceeded with the rest of the Kreem steps to finish the lining.

That extra step of doing more of the etching may be a big part of why this liner has worked for near ten years without failing. Kind of a fun project one can easily do at home. When you mix the Kreem for the lining, the consistency is similar to warm honey...it's a bit slow to pour. One pours it in the sealed tank then tapes it closed. You then slowly turn the tank ever which way for maybe a minute, then let it sit for ten or so minutes. Then you do it again, and again. I turned the tank several more time than instructed until most all of it was used. What excess was left in there, I just let dribble out of the petcocks.

Think the Kreem kit was about 25 bucks back then to buy.

Click for pics
04 R1150RT ~ 78 R100/7 ~ 84 RS ~ 93 K1100RS ~ 65 R60/2
Randy in Round Rock
SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I'm gunna get my tank resprayed. It's been RedKote relined previously but not a complete job so I thought I'd do it properly before a respray. So far I've got some chain in there and a few litres of acetone. It gets shaken about and sits in a different position overnight for longer periods. It's slowly getting there.

I drained a lot of crud and a raspberry coloured acetone from it tonight. I've filtered the crud from the liquid and put the liquid back in. Once I'm happy, I'll wash it all out and dry it well. Then I'll add a few litres of vinegar to sort the rest of it. Then more rinse and wash and dry then the RedKote again, but more completely this time.

ImageImage
Cheers, Steve
Victoria, S.E.Oz.

1982 R100RSR100RS supergallery. https://boxerboy81.smugmug.com/R100RS
2006 K1200R.
1994 R1100GS.
dougie

Post by dougie »

SteveD wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 am Then I'll add a few litres of vinegar to sort the rest of it.
Apple cider vinegar. :ugeek:
I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
Zombie Master

Post by Zombie Master »

Hey Bob, your pics aren't showing up.
Any and all disclaimers may apply
ME 109

Post by ME 109 »

Zombie Master wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:18 pm Hey Bob, your pics aren't showing up.
They were there in 2012, I saw them! :geek:
Lord of the Bings
Rob

Post by Rob »

ME 109 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:46 am They were there in 2012, I saw them! :geek:
Before the Great PhotoFucket Wars of 2017...
Rob V